SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Backing on Spinning Reel

1/30/16 @ 10:50 AM
INITIAL POST
500sp
User since 4/4/10
Should the backing be larger test then the main line or smaller test I'm spooling 8 lb line on my new spinning reel thanks guys
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
3/12/16 @ 10:43 AM
iglootipup
User since 1/8/10
Try using rubber bans you can get them in any size and quantities and inexpensive
2/12/16 @ 12:52 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Pretty much what was said already, I do not use backing on spinning reels unless my primary line will be fireline or suffix, or some other super line. Now I do use backer on my trolling reels. Backer had two purposes. To put a small amount on the spool so that your super line does not slip on the spool, and to fill the spool because typically super lines are much smaller in diameter than mono. I do put backer on my trolling reels even though I use mono. The reason being is a trolling reel may hold 450 plus yards of say 10 pound test. Well when its time to replace line, no reason to replace 450 yards when perhaps on 200 of it has ever seen the water. So I will use some discount line for a filler or backer on my trolling reels.
2/11/16 @ 1:53 PM
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
Wow, Billy, that could end up being a lot of electrical tape! I assume we're talking mono backing for braided line; I agree that there's no particular benefit to backing straight mono (although I have had customers ask for mono backing for fluoro, just to save on the cost of the flouro!). Beyond that, count me as X3 RE the consensus, it doesn't make any particular difference, although it can be a bit easier to have the line diameters a bit closer to matchin to ease tying, i.e. backing 8lb braid with 40lb mono can be a bit awkward).
2/9/16 @ 11:27 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
If you are using mono don't even bother with backing. My braided reels have mono of close diameter; it does help if you use uni-uni. I mostly use flourocarbon for leaders; however, I spooled up an ultralite reel with berkley flouro a couple years ago, and the stuff just holds up. In the future I'll probably not put backing on flouro either.
2/8/16 @ 8:16 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
might be in the minority here, but I've never used backing on any reel... never saw the need... the closest I come to that is using braids, and after a few years, unspooling and reversing the line so the freshest part of the line is now in the top/used part of the spool/arbor...to extend the useful life of the line back in the day, used to pull the dacron/whatever line of my old level wind reels ( which were the only reels I had at the time ) and "dry" the line so it wouldn't rot, and agsin, reversed it upon respooling I also only changed mono once a year unless it got so low on a pinning reel that I lost castability
2/8/16 @ 5:44 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
I agree with the consensus, I simply utilize whatever fluoro or mono I have to use as backing...the diameter doesn't matter one bit...but the heaver the backing, they less you will require. Generally I like to just use the old mainline that was or is being replaced.
2/4/16 @ 11:24 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10
Line diameter for the backing does not make any difference. The backing is only there to take up space. Use whatever you can find or buy cheap.
1/30/16 @ 7:37 PM
BASSNASSN
User since 3/31/07
I try to match diameters
1/30/16 @ 6:21 PM
iowapheasant
PRO MEMBER User since 3/27/11
With the idea that you aren't going to get spooled down to the backing, I always use whatever line I have available. If you think you might get spooled, I would go with the same pound test you are winding on, or maybe even higher.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE