SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Side Imaging Sonar

11/5/15 @ 3:44 PM
INITIAL POST
Moose55
User since 5/30/04
I am looking at buying a side imaging sonar for my boat. I am still deciding between Humminbird and Lowrance. However, my question is would you buy the unit this season or wait until next season. Currently the Lowrance HDS Gen 2 are several hundred less than the HDS Gen 3. This price difference is very similar when you compare a Humminbird 900 series to a Humminbird Helix What are your thoughts? Thanks, Rob
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
11/28/15 @ 8:56 AM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
A few more SI shots of weed edge,wood,etc.
Side Imaging Sonar photo by fishhook
11/25/15 @ 8:18 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
I use side imaging on my Humminbird 998 all the time. I can't imagine not having it. A great tool for finding/fishing structure,weed edges,drop offs,cribs,wood,& locating schools of baitfish. I find it priceless up in Canadian waters I fish. 4'- 40'
Side Imaging Sonar photo by fishhook
11/25/15 @ 2:19 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
I disagree on the deeper water. We use side imaging to find catfish in 1-3 feet of water along edges all the time and it works every bit as good as in deeper water.
11/25/15 @ 10:40 AM
Brian Hammarsten
Brian Hammarsten
User since 4/5/10
I have owed both and it is nice to have. If you dont fish deep water (15'+) then its pretty limiting on what the side imagers can do. I would say keep your eye out for a good deal and let the sale determine which route to go (unless you already have other finders that you can link together).
11/22/15 @ 4:59 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
You can't go wrong with side imaging. For years I didn't use it for anything but identifying structure and locations such as edges of rip rap. The past couple years I have really started to use it to find fish and fine tune bait placement. It does take time to learn but now days you have youtube to watch and learn unlike back when I started in 2009.
11/12/15 @ 2:45 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
I have had side imaging now for about 3 years. I have found it to be of very limited value on Lake Winnebago. I asked a rep about it once and he said that due to the numbers of sheepshead, shad etc that it is awful tough to tell just what you are looking at. He also said that most rock structure is so beat down by the waves it is hard to see. I asked him about white streaks that I have seen on reef tops and he said that it was probably the rock surface. I have found side imaging good for telling where rock meets mud. That is about it. Any others thinks it is useful on Bago? Mrt.
11/12/15 @ 1:38 PM
Moose55
User since 5/30/04
I have been leaning towards, waiting over the winter and summer. If I recall Humminbird and Lowrance both had rebates in Feb till July this year. So I was thinking this will happen again, but the prices have dropped and I sit here and think what am I waiting for. However, I am still split on which unit to buy. I know I want Side Imagining. So at least I can keep researching. Rob
11/9/15 @ 1:35 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Agreed I would wait. This year I switched from Lowrance to Bird, and I am lovin it. They are both good units and both have advantages and disadvantages. The Bird Core Series 800, 900 and 1100 hundreds have not been discontinued yet. They are good units, with teh Helix's coming out, the core units are going to drop in price. Keep an eye out all winter, and when you are ready do it!
11/8/15 @ 10:22 PM
JUSWANNASHOOT
User since 11/24/08
I would wait. You have all winter to watch for sales and electronics continue to drop over time. Just my 2 cents.
11/5/15 @ 5:16 PM
Billy
User since 6/15/01
It really depends. I am using HDS8 Gen2 graphs with side imaging and they work pretty darn good once you figure out all of your settings to see stuff how you want to. I know a number of guys using the last generation of Humming Birds as well that they simply work. If you are in the business of fishing and want to keep up with the technology get the newest offerings. If you are looking for something that give you good bang for the buck and will for surely get the job done while saving a pile of money go with the 2nd generation from either company. They both work top notch once you get them figured out.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE