SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Changing Hooks

6/26/15 @ 9:17 AM
INITIAL POST
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
Just curious how many of you change out hooks on lures before you ever throw them? I use to but rarely do now. i think the bait companies have stepped up and started putting better hooks on their lures. Just wondering! On lighting delay so I am stuck inside !
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
9/5/15 @ 9:23 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Heck yes, those owner stinger hooks are the strongest treble I've ever found....I do utilize them with my salmon gear, generally with crankbaits....but I use the smaller ones (size 12, I believe) when I float skein. Great hook....powerful yet takes almost no pressure to sink, even into the bony part of a Chinook's mouth.
9/5/15 @ 12:31 PM
frozentoo
User since 7/27/12
I'm strictly pier/jetty/tributary fisherman however, I DO upgrade my hooks when they've reached the point of 'fair wear and tear'. My "GO TO's" are Owner ST - 36BC X Just an FYI ..
9/3/15 @ 8:34 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
You are right, the bait companies have stepped up and seem to be using good hooks. The one bait that I do change the hooks on as soon as it comes of of the package is the Reef Runner 900 series bait. That is their largest bait, and seems to come with a saltwater hook or something. All their other baits have good hooks, but not that one.
6/29/15 @ 3:41 PM
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
It depends on the bait. I primarily muskie fish and have found that putting Owners hooks on jerk baits makes them stick a bit giving you a fraction of a second longer to set the hook. I have never found a hook sharper than an Owners. I shop around on-line to get a reduced price on them.
6/29/15 @ 2:45 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
Stock hooks are of a much higher quality than they used to be.
6/27/15 @ 4:52 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
I haven't really done it in a while as stock hooks have come a long way. The one exception is jerkbaits and a few cranks. With many I have changed out the stock hooks (which were good hooks) and replaced them with triple grips. Triple grips are the most impressive treble I've ever used. The one downside is that you must carry a pliers, because you will need it to get those hooks out just about every time, even on fish that appear to be "barely" hooked. Great hooks for when fish aren't hitting aggressively. If I could afford to do so, I would probably change out most of my treble hooked baits to triple grips, they're that good.
6/26/15 @ 9:45 AM
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
The hooks on new lure are razor sharp as far as I can tell (I use the thumbnail test), so I don't see any need to change to better ones. Some of the guys I know may change out stock trebles for single hooks, but that's all I ever hear of guys doing.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE