SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2014 Elk Hunt

12/28/13 @ 4:57 PM
INITIAL POST
dc cady
User since 3/10/07
Getting real close to application time for the 2014 elk hunt. My brother and I have max points for Wyoming this year and plan on going on our 1st ever elk and guided hunt. We will be hunting in area 7 and hope our outfitter continues his string of success with us. Anyone else have plans? Also would like to hear stories of 2013 hunts.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
12/1/14 @ 8:07 PM
oppyjr79
User since 12/18/11
First year living in Montana second weekend of gun season. This is my first year elk hunting im happy with this one for not really knowing how to elk hunt.
11/29/14 @ 9:21 PM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05
Beautiful bull Elk beelzebob. I' m jealous man,I'd love to go on a hunt like that.Congratulations, you also got some mighty fine eating coming your way.
11/29/14 @ 7:47 PM
beelzebob
User since 9/24/01
I drew unit 45 south of Ten Sleep WY, had max points. Paid 5k to access a great ranch, as with other places I've hunted in WY, it is a night and day difference when you get on good ground. For 3 days I was watching a herd between 4 and 5 hundred, that's right - hundred animals. There was an early rut (I'm told) and so the biggest bulls had peeled out. I ended up with a nice 6x6, the largest of dozens that I saw. My best advice: do what you have to do to put the money aside so that when you pull that tag it is you that is on the good ground. Make it happen.
2014 Elk Hunt photo by beelzebob
9/26/14 @ 12:58 PM
adubs
User since 12/4/06
big mac, We tried drawing with and outfitter also but came up empty. We found a few "cheap" landowner tags and headed out. The unit we hunted averages 18-26% success rates on "any elk" so our results are certainly not the norm but we've been doing DIY archery hunts all over the west every year since '98. We've learned a lot over those years and it's made our hunts a lot more enjoyable! next year we have enough points in Wyoming (5-7pts) and I will burn my 11 pts in Colorado the year after that. If you really want to have good hunts start playing the point game now and look for states like NM, MT, ID, and Wyoming to have great hunts while building points in UT, AZ, AND NV. They take a long time 12-15 years to draw good archery tags but if you start now you'll be amazed when you look up and have 5-11 points in every state for all kinds of fun hunts. The best part is it's not really that expensive considering most of the tag fee's are sent back to you. I apply for something like 48-50 tags/points every year and I think I get all but $1000 back when it's all said and done. Not exactly cheap but considering what the next decade is going to look like for me and my brothers (elk, mule deer, antelope, and sheep hunts) it's well worth the financial sacrifice to us! My first 9 elk huts were OTC colorado archery hunts and one rifle hunt. You couldn't pay me to go back to those units. Too many hunters, steep terrain, low elk numbers and poor quality. The units we hunt now, have low tag numbers/low hunting pressure, good elk numbers, quality bulls (obviously), and moderate terrain at worst. It takes a little research online, magazines, and talking to biologists to put it all together but you'll significantly increase your odds of bagging a good bull and increase your enjoyement when your there if you put the time and effort into your research before picking your destination!!
9/26/14 @ 11:28 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
adubs Awesome bull!!!! Take me with you!!! I tried twice to go there with an outfitter, but never got a tag. Archery elk hunt is my dream hunt! Big Mac
9/26/14 @ 10:44 AM
adubs
User since 12/4/06
hunted in northern NM this year and our group of 5 shot 4 bulls. The one guy in camp who didn't come home with a bull had two shots on good bulls but didn't connect. We took one great 6pt, 2 satellite bulls, and my dad who turns 67 in October shot a spike. We had an awesome hunt with bugling bulls every morning and evening of the hunt. Two of the days they hammered all day long but it's still tough to get an arrow in 'em! Another great year chasing bulls for us Big Smile
9/20/14 @ 3:26 PM
GROUPER
GROUPER
User since 12/6/02
Very interested in doing an elk drop camp in Colorado. Has anyone had good luck with a reasonable outfitter for a drop camp? I've seen prices ranging from 1200-1800 (depending on group size). Would it be more effective to do an archery or rifle hunt for a drop camp? Any help or suggestions would be great.
9/18/14 @ 12:56 PM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
We too just got back from a 7 day Diy elk hunt in Idaho. The 3 of us seen just over 80 elk including 11 bulls. Seen elk everyday. My cousin got this 3 antlered 5x6x2 bull at 15yrds. I had an op at a little smaller bull the first evening at 18yrds but he seen me pull back and it was game over. I also missed a cow mid week at 42 yrds. (mis-judged yardage badly) Didn't have time to range her and shot way over her back. Lesson learned though.... If it's past 30 yards don't shoot unless you range it first! Weather was still very warm everyday with highs in the mid 80's. Lots of action but the rut was just starting to kick in when we left. Only heard 1 bugle all week. The cow's were vocal though. I never seen another hunter all week. Great trip. Can't wait to get back next year..... thinking a week later though and a couple days longer. Fyi, the fishing was incredible too.
2014 Elk Hunt photo by RodBend'r
9/16/14 @ 9:12 PM
cajuncheese
User since 6/13/09
Got back from a 7 day elk hunt in Northern Colorado. Had some crazy action but came home elkless. Called in a bull first morning. He was in some thick stuff and winded me. He never bugled and came in silent. The next morning walked up on a feeding elk and he was heading down the mountain. Cow called a few times and he came walking near to investigate. He was a small satellite bull. He stopped behind a tree. Should have let an arrow fling but didn't. He caught wind and ran 60 yards out. I took a shot and missed just low. Hunted rest of morning and had another bull come running in from behind. Buddy got a shot and missed him over his back. Frustrating but fun and lots of action. Can't wait to get out again next year!!!
9/3/14 @ 3:01 PM
dog_handler
dog_handler
User since 9/23/09
I am a newbie to Elk hunting. this is my first year heading to Colorado and I was wondering about a couple things. I have the gun and the clothing and most of the camp stuff. I was wondering what backpack would you recommend I am looking at a badlands or eberlestock but I am not sure. I have a badlands daypack that I love but I heard the badland 4500 is somewhat heavy? Also I have a good pair of Binos but would you still recommend carring a spotting scope? Thank you in advance
6/11/14 @ 12:46 AM
cajuncheese
User since 6/13/09
Well I didn't draw for muzzle loader elk in Colorado this year. My 2 buddies did though. Looks like I will be out there with the stick and string again. Still have lots of opportunities and a good chance at putting one down though. Gotta make up for a miss last year on a nice bull...3 months but who's counting... Big Smile
5/1/14 @ 10:14 AM
adubs
User since 12/4/06
didn't draw any elk tags this year...still have some sheep draws in idaho, washington, and MT... but thats like winning the lottery so not holding my breath. Decided to buy archery landowners tags (myself, brothers, father, and family friend) to hunt in New Mexico. Hoping for a good hunt, shot two bulls with a rifle back in 08 and 09 in the same unit so hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to make it 3 for 3 this year! adubs
4/14/14 @ 8:11 AM
maxracx
maxracx
User since 4/14/02
DC, I too have been buying points in Wyoming with a hope of finding a hunt someday. Going into next years draw I will have 8pt in my pocket. If you are looking for a partner drop me a line....maxracx
4/13/14 @ 1:06 PM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02
dc...sounds like you have an area that's on your radar and very good, although if you ever think of checking other areas, unit 108 (huge private tract of land) is pretty incredible. I've hunting it once and was truly impressed with quantity and quality of elk (not to mention the huge mulies) and know other buddies that have been there several times with the same outfitter and it always seems to produce over and over. If interested, PM me for next years draw...otherwise, good luck on your next draw.
4/8/14 @ 7:44 PM
fishy
User since 1/12/02
I'm not sure how a herd of 200 even dictates any kind of hunt at all?? I thought they wanted to grow the herd. I'm looking forward to my Flat Tops /White River drop camp near Meeker Colorado. 1st season Rifle- great hunt with an excellent chance at a bull-cant wait!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE