SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Crossbow speed

2/8/16 @ 6:06 PM
INITIAL POST
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01
If you look at brands,of crossbow like mission their bows have different speeds,Any advantage or disadvantage besides the obvious
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
2/10/16 @ 10:09 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
Bought my X-bow when I turned 65 seven years ago. Its a middle of the road Barnett, just something to introduce me to cross bows. This is the first year I seriously hunted with it. Grandson got a new compound this summer are practices have been quite competive, were pretty even target shooting. I hunt for a ground blind, he's 18 ft. up. He was picky passing a couple nice bucks waiting for Mr.Big. I took a nice smaller buck mid season. Only shot two arrows all season. First was a miss at 30 yards, over the top, too much Kentucky windage !! Deer heard the noise, but never moved or located it. I just watched him walk away. My bow is rated at 320 fps., shot my deer at 12 yds. he was arrowed before he heard anything. There's a lot of nice bows out there take your time choosing one, most places have ranges to try them out. I expect to upgrade in a couple of years, I've learned a lot with this one I have. Straight shooting everyone............
2/9/16 @ 3:30 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
Look at the the Tenpoint Stealth SS. Very light and a well made bow. Mrt.
2/9/16 @ 10:39 AM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01
Thanks for info so far, I have a massive tear that I am recovering from in Rotator cuff and looks like I would not be able to shoot my compound this year so overall weight of bow will be important.
2/9/16 @ 9:46 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
As you get into the fast bows, the reliability suffers.There is an awful lot of energy dumped in a very short draw cycle. This makes for a very violent release. Crossbows do break down and have more problems than verticals. Having said that, there are some reliable bows out there. Tenpoint makes some very good bows. The limiting factor concerning effective hunting range is not speed, it is noise. Even the most quiet crossbow makes way more noise than the loudest bow. Choose a bow that has speeds between 320fps and 350fps and you will have plenty of speed. You will be able to shoot accurately past 50 yards. Your effective and ethical hunting max will be at 40 yards or less with any crossbow due to the noise.. The size and weight of a crossbow is way more of a factor than speed for me when I am on stand. They are heavy and bulky contraptions. Mrt.
2/8/16 @ 6:45 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Bigger concern is noise, they are all fast and accurate but noise limits your distance
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE