LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

DO I need chains on tires of 4x4 4 wheeler for ice fishing?

10/31/11 @ 11:03 AM
INITIAL POST
garyq
PRO MEMBER User since 4/1/10
I have gotten a 4x4 this year that is a 4 wheeler and now am wondering if I should invest in a set of chains for the rear or front or all tires for better tractinon on the ice? Any advice or knowledge shared is appreciated please

Thanks

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
8/16/12 @ 12:30 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
We are only a couple of months away. Have you found the chains ?
2/28/12 @ 12:45 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
We were out last weekend on LVD. Ended up with a sled pulling a freight sled that sunk in slush, ATV with a winch and chains pulled it out with no problems. Keep the chains tight and speeds low, he even tugged a full size pick up out of the slush with a 400 Cat.
12/28/11 @ 1:57 PM
cookiedough
User since 5/1/11

my opinion, if ONLY 2wd ATV, then yes need them especially if pulling a portable shack or eqmt.  If 4wd, really not needed unless glare ice and only then if pulling heavier eqmt. out.  4wd is almost a must unless ideal conditions meaning 1-5" of snow all the time while ice fishing and then 2wd would do.

I have tried plowing with my 4wd ATV in 2wd and without chains, doesn't work.  Same principle would apply trying to pull vs. pushing.  Also have tried going thru more than 8" of snow in 2wd and gets stuck easily.  In 4wd, no problems up to about 12" or until the snow gets up into the skidplates and starts bottoming out.  I'd save the money since rarely is the ice bare of snow.  Only time needing chains in most all conditions is when the ice is totally bare of snow completely just ice and pulling something heavier like 200-300 lbs. or more onto the ice.  If lighter eqmt. under 100 lbs., then you can still get by with 4wd ATV just go slower is all and you will get there just slip around much more without chains.

12/14/11 @ 10:11 AM
RagingDiablo13
RagingDiablo13
User since 2/24/06

4x4 300 and now 500 4x4 have never used chains and never gotten stuck....knock on wood.  If you ride with chains on....PLEASE remember to keep your speed down.  When you get them, they should say speed no more than 25MPH.  I have seen them fly off, hit somone, and ruin the back end of a ATV.  They are good at LOW speed.  Myself, I get to my honey hole as fast as possible, and run back to truck when I forget something...and always going WOT...just IMO.

This statement is my own personal opinion and in way reflects the thoughts or views of BRP and all brands including but not limited to Evinrude/Sea-Doo/Ski-Doo/Can-Am.

12/13/11 @ 10:01 PM
rickwalley
User since 9/15/01

so where have you guys found the best spot to order them online?  I want to order a set for the front of my Sportsman 600, tire size 25 x 8 - 12.  Probably go with the 2 link style.

11/12/11 @ 9:07 PM
clarkcntydude
User since 11/27/09
I know I have been riding on the lakes for years..first with a 220 Bayou and now with a 700 Prairie with the stock tires and never had any problems. I have recently upgraded my tires and they are better than the stocks..but maybe chains would be nice to have. I know I stuggled on the river last winter pulling my family on sleds..but I was also pulling about 700 pounds through a foot of slush and heavy wet snow.

11/3/11 @ 7:40 AM
garyq
PRO MEMBER User since 4/1/10
Thanks all for your comments and advice I ordered 2 pairs last night Only 60 bucks for both sets with shipping Not a lot of money to help not have to shovel myself and push myself out

11/1/11 @ 4:57 PM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
User since 5/1/05
I have them and will not go with out. Problem is if the snow turns to sugar.......chains are the only way. Glare ice, water over the ice...etc.

I also snow plow with mine and chains help when the snow wind row gets to deep my front end stays in place and does not get shoved over or wet heavy snow.

I think I paid $70 for both front and back....well worth it to me.

11/1/11 @ 8:31 AM
procrast
User since 1/16/10
Last year I purchased studs, and I was very pleased with them. Probably the one downside is that it takes time to put them in, and back out again. But if you are using your wheeler for just ice fishing just keep them in for the season. I did lose a few over the course of the season last year but I will again be putting them back on this year again.

10/31/11 @ 10:09 PM
Perchhound
Perchhound
User since 12/5/07
I go out in the worse possible snow and I have to have them. When you hit the lake when the snow has pushed the ice down and water has come up and turned the snow to half frozen crap, you need them. If you go out on glare ice and a good 20mph wind it can push you across the ice. I've been out when the snow and crap is up to and above the foot boards. Wide open and wheels are turning and with chains barely going. So alot has to do with when and where you are planning on going. I go to get away from everyone else so no trails to follow. Normally you only need them on the rear but you will have some fun turning on glare ice but it's workable. Every year I pull Quite a few guys off where they wished they had chains. I'm thinking about putting a plow on this year so I may even put them on the front. V-Bar chains are the way to go and very cheap. Now I need to search forums for the best winch for a plow. Good luck and tight lines.

10/31/11 @ 8:00 PM
roofer
User since 6/6/04
If you are only going half mile out, probably not, I'd carry'em anyhow. But if you got a good back and good boots, go without. I use a 2x4 honda and have little grief yet I don't have chains yet. I just don't go if I think I will get stuck, WALK IN IS EASIER. than pushing a atv.

10/31/11 @ 6:56 PM
ottis2
ottis2
User since 4/14/07
NO, They might Help on Glare Ice, But what are the Chances of Having Glare Ice. I have a 400 Polaris and Use Mine Alot. There is almost always some type of snow on the Ice! Save your Money, If it was a Two Wheeler, I might say Get Them, But otherwise, Spend the Money on Beer! Ottis2

DO I need chains on tires of 4x4 4 wheeler for ice fishing? photo by ottis2
10/31/11 @ 5:59 PM
Meat Pole
Meat Pole
User since 8/30/10
No, they do help on glare ice but i get around fine withou them.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE