Madison Fishing Expo Runs Feb 27-Mar 1By Dan Durbin - February 1, 2009
The Madison Fishing Expo (MFE) will be held February 27-March 1 at the Exhibition Hall at the Alliant Energy Center, and along with a new trout pond will feature a star-studded cast of seminar speakers and several kid-friendly events. As always, the show will donate all proceeds to bettering fishing right here in Wisconsin and kids 12 and under are free. According to Chuck Rolfsmeyer, MFE President, they have a seminar line up that is sure to please.
"We again have a truly diverse group of speakers from local experts to national celebrities offering topics for nearly anything that swims in Wisconsin. We'll even have a special ice fishing seminar from Jim Kusuda that people can watch, learn from, and use the tactics on our very own Madison Chain of Lakes that same day!" Other seminar speakers include Joe Bucher (musky), Terry Frey (big river walleyes), Bob Mehsikomer (musky), Judy Nugent (coulee trout streams), Mike Wurm (bass), Daryl Christensen (walleyes), Travis Richardson (panel) and Ron Barefield (Madison lakes).
With MFE continuing to push hard at getting kids to the show, there is no shortage of activities to entertain them. A new trout pond will let them fish within the comforts of the indoors, and the popular face painting and balloon artists will again be on hand at various times during the show.
"There are plenty of free, and very economical things for the entire family to do here," Rolfsmeyer said. "You can spend an entire day here for less than taking the family out for a movie."
Proceeds benefit fishing in Wisconsin with around $650,000 donated since the inception of the show. Last year, just a few of the donations include:
- $12,500.00 - Yahara Fishing Club - Warner Park project
- $2,100.00 - Trees for Tomorrow - sponsor youth training
- $2,000.00 - Shabazz High School - Project Green Teen
- $2,000.00 - Thursday's Child - Lake Wisconsin event
- $2,000.00 - Harry Nohr Chapter, Trout Unlimited - Big Spring Creek project
- $1,500.00 - UW Sportfishing Team - fund activities
- $1,000.00 - Yahara Fishing Club - Kids Event
- $1,000.00 - C&R Bass Club - August Kids' event
- $1,000.00 - Fishing Has No Boundaries - summer event
- $1,000.00 - Outdoors Without Limits - sponsor local event
- $1,000.00 - Wisconsin Bass Federation - Junior Bass Tournament
- $500.00 - Wisconsin Outdoor Alliance - Outdoor Education Expo
- $500.00 - Beaver Dam Fire Dept. - safety training
- $500.00 - Dane County Lakes & Watershed - Stake in the Lakes project
- $500.00 - West Central Kids Fishing League - kids fishing
- $300.00 - Thursday's Child - fishing tackle
The show runs Friday from 4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., Saturday, 9:00a.m. - 7:00 p.m., and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. Admission is $8 for adults. Kids 12 and under are free. Visit www.MadisonFishingExpo.com for more info.
Sponsored by: Yar-Craft Boats, E-Tech, Subway, Wisconsin State Journal, Q106FM, Wisconsin Outdoor News, IronClads, NBC 15, Discover Wisconsin, and Outdoor Wisconsin.