Passing It On
Park Falls, WI - The term back in the day is spoken by older generations to describe how things used to be. Depending on the age-gap, the saying may seem like hyperbole, but when it comes to fishing rods, back in the day really isn't all that long ago. The reality is that new rods make ten-year-old rods seem, well…old.
When it comes to fly rods, the evolution of design and materials has progressed by leaps and bounds. Lighter, faster and stronger - the latest advancements in fly rod design and manufacture were only a gleam in the eye of many veteran fly anglers, even in the not too distant past.
The 2018 Imperial USA fly rod is a great example of what occurs within the friendly confines of St Croix's Park Falls, Wisconsin facility when rod designers, engineers and builders decide it's time to improve upon the past.
Amazingly castable is an understatement. While the Imperial USA is most-definitely a fast-action fly rod, make no mistake, it's also buttery smooth to cast. The unmistakable forgiving feel does not limit the rod's tracking ability, either - enjoy remarkable accuracy without working up a sweat, even when flinging heavy sink-tip lines and weighted streamers. It's a pure joy to cast…
Designed with new aesthetics and components, Imperial USA will not disappoint the eye of even the most discerning fly anglers. Lightweight, black PVD coated snake guides and Kigan Master Hand 3D stripper guides offer a magnificent interface between the fly line and rod, while slim-profile ferrules provide maximum strength with minimal mass improving blank performance and eliminating any potential flat spot within the ferrule area.
The folks at St Croix are confident in their builds, too, so it should be no surprise that the Imperial USA comes with a 15-year transferable warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service. Every Imperial USA rod is handcrafted in Park Falls, Wisconsin with a retail range of $230-$330.
IMPERIAL® USA (freshwater and saltwater fly)
- Dynamic blend of high-modulus/high-strain SCIV graphite and premium quality SCII graphite.
- Slim-profile ferrules.
- Kigan Master Hand 3D stripper guides with aluminum-oxide rings and black frames.
- Sea Guide® snake guides with black PVD coating for extra hardness and increased smoothness.
- Uplocking, machined-aluminum reel seat with wood insert on most 2-6 wt. models.
- Uplocking, machined-aluminum reel seat on 7-10 wt. models.
- Premium-grade cork handle.
- Kigan hook-keeper.
- Two coats of Flex-Coat slow cure finish.
- Rugged rod case with handle and divided polypropylene liner.
- 15-year transferable warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service.