To start the day, we headed north to the east bridge of the twins. We were the 3rd of 6 boats there. W e fished under and around the bridge including the pylons for 2 1/2 hours. We were swinging for the one big bite as were the 5 other boats there. We vertical jigged, rigged, pitched jigs, funny jigged all to no avail. After 2 1/2 hours we had seen one 14" fish caught, we left. In talking to the guys that stuck it out there that day, we made the right decision.
We went all the way south to the dam and started trolling. We expected small 14" or less fish, but were we fishing for points. We pulled up and started trolling, wham within 5 minutes we had a double going, looks like we made the right decision. Within an hour we had our 5 fish on the card. Great, its time to upgrade. We spent the rest of the day trolling the 4'-5' area just north of the dam. We had a trolling run that was maybe 300 yards long, and given the wind and current, we were able to troll both up and down stream.
By the end of the day, we were able to upgrade our first 5 fish, we had 10 on the card and caught maybe 35 walleyes all day, and and 5 or 6 Northerns.
What were we doing and what were we using? It's a secret, yeah right!! Actually we trolled a couple different baits including a shad rap in varying colors, but the bait we kept going back to was a Reef Runner Mini Ripper or 100 series in the color Blue Chrome. We tried other colors, but the Blue Chrome is what produced and actually that caught all of our weigh fish.
Given that we were trolling in 4'-5' of water, we weren't using boards either. We were using line counters with 20/6 Power Pro letting out 20'-25' of line essentially fishing right behind the boat in the prop wash. I would let out enough line to tick bottom, when it start to tick I would wind it up a bit. I seemed to have 3 magic amounts of line out, 25', 22', and 20'. We trolled 2.5 MPH.
We ended the day with 10.3 LBS on the card, good enough for a 9th place finish.