SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Winter Kill

5/4/19 @ 8:43 AM
INITIAL POST
Switch
User since 1/23/02

Has anyone heard how bad the winter kill was for Turkey and Deer in Waupaca County? Heard rumors both took a huge hit. Been Our group has been Turkey hunting over the past 3 weeks and this has been the worst we have seen.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
4/27/20 @ 1:03 AM
Wisconsin waters1
User since 5/6/19

Shot my first doe in Central Wisconsin on public land late season !!! Was very excited hope yall enjoy!

https://youtu.be/_Fnk8GzVg1c

6/15/19 @ 8:37 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Labs.     Bar talk! CARPIO 

5/8/19 @ 2:06 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
it's a solid money system they have going, which is why i think it won't ever change. $3 to apply. $$ for the stamp.. $10 per tag, per season.. a guy could drop $50 on a few stupid turkey's... Not I, but no wonder so many guys take to the "shoot them whenever i want" style of turkey hunting 
5/8/19 @ 1:41 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Migr8r - isn't it funny that the DNR protects these birds so strictly?  You have to apply for a tag,  for a season, for a zone and get 7 days.  How ridiculous.  There are 200 birds where I bow hunt. 

But then they give out deer tags for nearly free...so backwards IMO

5/8/19 @ 9:45 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I had people thinking the deer would take a hit in southern areas because of the snow we got.  I just laughed because I don't think they know what real snow is.  We have turkeys and deer running around yet up north and we always have a lot of snow and it lasts a lot longer.  That's the key, now long it covers the ground.

5/6/19 @ 4:17 PM
Switch
User since 1/23/02

Thank you for your responses just reporting what we experienced this year vs others. I was curious thank you.

5/6/19 @ 1:02 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

The turkey population could stand to be knocked back a touch anyway. A few sub-prime birds lost from a tough winter isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If some sort of avian disease took hold here, it could have some harsh consequences on the turkey population with as many as we have. 

There are plenty of turkeys in WI. If you’re not finding them, you’re not looking hard enough. 

5/6/19 @ 9:47 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

who ever told you that heard it from someone else that heard it from somewhere else that heard it from a bar down the way.  There is little to no truth to it.  I've seen fields with 60-80 birds then on the other side of the block another 80.  The winter was not bad,  not sure why people think this EVERY year.  This was in waupaca east of odgensburg.  the turkey are EVERYWHERE.

there is a 80 acre corn field still standing by one of the areas I bow hunt,  half of it is left yet.  I was amazed to be quite frank,  but i guess that tells you that plenty of food was around else where.

I've personally walked pieces in waushara,  waupaca, winnebago and marquette co's and i have yet to find anything out of the ordinary.  

5/6/19 @ 6:23 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

LOL Wicasa....how true.

5/5/19 @ 8:41 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Waupaca had a mild winter. Doubt there was a significant winter kill. 

5/4/19 @ 11:54 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Plenty of deer and all came out in fine shape.  I have had a doe around all winter/spring who had a front leg shot off during the gun season. Even she came thru looking pretty good considering the circumstances.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE