Questions about deer

9/3/15 @ 6:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
USER since 5/12/09
I am actually new to hunting. I have done it before but have never actually bagged one. So my question is when you shoot him and field dress him how much time do you have to process the meat with the temps that they are. Then my next question is since I don't know how to even field dress a deer what places are good to bring the deer to get processed. I know the questions seem kind of dumb but I just want to know my options. Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
4/6/16 @ 10:43 AM
hoff
hoff
USER since 6/21/11
Step 1. Buy a butt-out. It is a magnificent little tool.I will never walk them deer woods without mine.

I bowhunt and if its warm, I have my big huge cooler. I will skin my deer and quarter it, Put quarters in trash bags and throw on ice in the cooler. Trim all the backstraps, inners, scrap out and put in bags in cooler. Now you bought yourself time to the tune of a day or two easy. Go home and butcher at your kitchen table where its warm and comfy.

Butcher it yourself is my suggestion. It is cheap and easy, a valuable skill to learn. All you need is a rope and spot to hang the deer, some cardboard, and a good sharp buck knife. A table helps. Fillet knife is good to have as well. Trash bags, freezer paper (or food saver I highly recommend a food saver), tape and a grill for them fresh inners yummy yummy tenderloin. What were we talking about? Oh yeah Lol. and get a sharpie. I like to write the sex, age, year killed, and cut of meat on each pack. (example: 2104 doe fawn backstrap) Sawzall is handy but not required.

Post Your Comment
9/5/15 @ 8:54 AM
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
USER since 5/12/09
I live in Kimberly and ill be trying to hunt the public land out past the Appleton air port. I really thank you guys for taking the time to explain all this to me. Good luck to you guys if you go!

Post Your Comment
9/4/15 @ 12:22 PM
perchthriller
perchthriller
USER since 7/14/09
Temp is a big factor, but I try to get it cold as soon as possible.

I would imagine youtube has a few good videos on field dressing a deer. Watch those and take your time the first time or two you do it.

Post Your Comment
9/4/15 @ 8:47 AM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
Where are you located/ hunt area? This will help determine where to go for processing. I would say anything colder than 50 degrees, you should be fine hanging for a day. I learned how to gut and cut up deer before I killed a deer. I would offer to gut deer for others in camp. Good luck & enjoy Big Mac

Post Your Comment
9/4/15 @ 8:37 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
A lot will depend on the temps when you get it. If it's warm, you don't have a whole lot of time. Best thing you can do is gut it as soon as possible and wipe out as much blood as you can. Then get a couple bags of ice and stick them in the chest cavity for the ride home. Hang it as soon as possible. splitting the pelvis and hanging it upside down will allow more heat to dissipate. Skinning it will help too, but you may need to wrap it in cheesecloth to keep flies off it. Again, if it's warm, you'll want to get it to a processor as soon as you can.

Not sure where you're located, but if you're in the Fox Cities area, Haen Meats does a great job and makes good sausage. Green Bay...have heard Maplewood Meats is really good too. If you're just looking to have it skinned and butchered, you can probably find a listing on Craigslist.

I'd suggest watching a few videos on You Tube before heading out. I'll never forget the nightmare of trying to gut my first deer. Thought I knew what I was doing...I was wrong lol.

Post Your Comment