MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

New book categories

10/17/18 @ 5:41 PM
INITIAL POST
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

So if you shoot a big buck with a gun you would perhaps have shot a "Boone and Crocket".  If you shoot one with a bow you would maybe qualify for a "Pope and Young"...

With the added technological advances, just wanted to see if there would be any interest in creating some new categories for recording book animals.  Here's an example: For a successful crossbow hunter, we could recognize their achievement as a "William Tell".  According to certain sources, the man (who may or may not have even been real) legend has shooting an apple off his son's head used a crossbow.  

Now before any of you crossbow hunters sound off on how hard it is to kill a deer with one, don't for a moment think that I am minimizing this feat.  There are times when killing any deer with high powered rifles can be a monumental task, let alone a large buck.  But one would have to acknowledge the fact that this particular weapon is in many ways similar, yet significantly different than a conventional compound bow.  

What are people's thoughts about some new categories as hunters have enlarged the options that we use to harvest animals.  Would muzzleloader hunters want their own record book category?  How about non-compound bow hunters i.e. recurves and longbows?  Would they want their own category?  

What might be some other things to consider?

Please share your thoughts on some additional record book categories.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
10/30/18 @ 7:07 PM
bass423
PRO MEMBER User since 3/1/12

Haters never win...JC.  Maybe you could expand a little on how you really feel about crossbows.

P.S. I hope you never HAVE to use an xbow because it is the only weapon that you can use because of human limitations.

10/26/18 @ 9:43 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

There is already a book for crossbow kills.  It is called Boone and Crockett, just like for all other gun kills.

10/19/18 @ 7:21 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I think it's pretty straight forward.  I'm surprised with the advancing technology they haven't increased the qualifying requirements.  All of these requirements were set a long time ago back when a 20 yard shot on a buck was considered stretching it with a bow and people were using iron sights or black powder.  Now 40+ yards with a bow isn't out of the question and 300 yard shots are nothing with a 6-24 scope.

10/18/18 @ 7:06 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Actually pope and young is bow only club.  Boone and crocket  is for gun and bow and there are other qualifications too, but I don't have them memorized.  Longhunter is the record book for muzzleloaders.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE