MI vs Wi Winter Deer Severity

4/16/18 @ 10:47 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Polar opposites in how the two states manage and look at managing deer winter severity. Wisconsin honestly could care less about winter severity. Michigans DNR seems very worried about the toll this late winter will take on does and unborn fawns . Wisconsins DNR will address the situation in 2-3 years from now after the deer herd plummets in a repeat of  our winter of 2013.Throughout  Northern Wisconsin conditions are almost identical to the Southern UP and yet we have almost completely opposite management. It is extremely refreshing to see the state of Michigan doing such diligent work with their deer herd . It takes a lot of time and costs money to take such good care of their very vulnerable deer herd.

Edited on 4/16/18 11:30 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 58 Posts
4/21/18 @ 10:05 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

No idea yet if UP Michigan lowered. As far as I know there has been a zero antlerless harvest in UP Michigan since the winter of 2013/14. Except for Menominee County and a bit of Dickinson having limited antlerless. But I'm not 100% sure on that. Menominee County runs pretty much like our Buffalo . Private lands very well controlled by private owners that like good hunting . They have a deer population similar to what we saw in the 90s. And the landowners essentially handle their own deer management without abusing it .

I see the Forest County CDAC lowered their antlerless quota to 300.  They apparently thought it was a bad winter and responded accordingly. We'll see how the rest of the Northern Forest CDACs respond.  Wildlife management decisions  made by local people from input by local people ! Who'd have ever thought it possible in Wisconsin. 

Edited on 4/23/18 6:03 AM
Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 8:30 AM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

Has Michigan lowered their antlerless quota for this fall yet like Wisconsin has started?

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 9:20 PM
deerhunter34
deerhunter34
USER since 10/8/01

Farnorthbadger - you should consider giving up your wims.  Beyond old.

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 8:32 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09

How are they responding now? We don't know yet. But again how many deer is enough for you? How many should the DNR make sure we have every year no matter what?

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 8:28 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Swamp how did our WDNR respond the last time we had a severe winter? 

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 7:17 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09

FNB I never said we should ignore it. My point is you post a news paper article that says Michigan biologist are worried the deer are stressed. And because of that they care more than Wisconsin does? Thats a bunch of rubbish. Deer are stressed most winters and some more than others. Thats nothing new. Lets get the facts first and then make adjustments. You rant that the DNR isn't going to do anything when you don't know what they're going to do yet. I suggest you look at past deer populations in this state. We had ALOT of lean years. Did the biologist suck then? I guess my question for you is How many deer is enough for FNB? Once that is established the DNR can set forth a plan to meet that goal. You may never see a deer herd like we had in in the late 90's and early 2000's. If thats what your expectation is you are going to be disappointed.

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 7:14 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

35 inches of ice on Lake Minoqua......better bring your auger extension for the opener. A freighter iced in and stuck in Marquette harbor ........get the ice breakers. Wisconsin high school baseball and softball seasons being halved. Only a WDNR employee could or would call this winter mild. 

Post Your Comment
4/20/18 @ 6:07 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

I guess my point is following a bad winter, and this one hasn't been good, we should have extremely conservative antlerless harvest the next fall. I'm hoping our CDACs do the right thing but they are stacked heavily in favor of lower deer numbers. We will see. Let's never repeat shooting up an already devasted deer herd like what happened in fall 2014. Thank goodness the politicians took those decisions away from our so called wildlife professionals in the upper levels of our WDNR after that kind of abuse. Deer management in Wisconsin should never be allowed to get to that low point again.  

And Fish 2 feet of crusty snow in the woods all winter made this an extremely tough winter on the deer...and an extremely good one for the four legged hunters. The last snow was pretty irrelevant other than delaying the crusty stuff another two or three weeks . And that article from Michigan was published the day that storm hit . That article was pre storm . Folks ice fishing into May proves how cold and long it really was. And April is on schedule to be the coldest on record. Ever. I wonder if the WSI will catch that ?

Edited on 4/20/18 6:33 AM
Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 8:30 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

So the CDAC is already reducing the antlerless quota to reflect the recent snowfall. What is the issue here again?

Post Your Comment
4/19/18 @ 6:58 PM
yahay
yahay
USER since 11/28/07

BOTB, explain what ur comment about what really goes on in the deer woods meant.  Tell us what u c, or what others should know. This is a sincere question.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 58 Posts