Jerk move.

11/28/17 @ 6:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10

Quit crying. If it was the DNR you deserved it, If it was someone trying to hunt leagally in that same area You deserved it. That simple. Stay within the law and things like this wouldn't happen.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 31 to 40 of 123 Posts
12/11/17 @ 12:33 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
USER since 10/27/02

Holy moly did this thread ever blow up!  I haven't been back to look since a couple days after the op, lots of good conversation.   I'm just glad hunting season is over and we can all go back to hating the guy drilling holes 10 feet away from our tip-ups.  I think I'll be up north for hunting next year,  lower densities of blaze orange sounds great.  Have a nice day gentlemen.

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 5:20 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I hunt my uncles 107 acres and it was worthless this year. Tried out public a little this year and it wasn’t that bad. Had plenty of room on 59,000 acres. Only thing is I hunted off the ground and didn’t really care for it. Will definitely be packing in a climber next year. Variety is the spice of life. 

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 3:46 PM
LyleP
LyleP
USER since 6/27/09

Unfortunately you have people thinking they own the woods just because they hunted there before.  Even when everyone is on the ground.  Stands don't change that.  Many folks are just possessive by nature.  I have had a guy by clam lake walk up to me and ask me to leave the area because he had been hunting it for the past few years (I was there first).  I Iaughed and mentioned I started hunting that area in 1977 just been gone for awhile.  At any rate I told him have at it.  Wasn't much happening anyway.

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 1:47 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Yup, thanks.  I corrected it.

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 1:12 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Bugletrout did you mean public?

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 12:45 PM
Brad
Brad
USER since 6/19/01

jkb -

Respectfully, I disagree.  A stand left on public, no matter where, can create an issue.  Just because people are a little more sparse north of 64 doesn't change that, it just minimizes it. 

Again, respectfully, I don't need a lesson on how to pattern and harvest deer.  I was lucky enough to harvest 3 nice buck in the spot from my previous post (a tornado wrecked it a few years later)  AND it didn't take me all day to get to my Dad if he were lucky enough to fill his tag.  This area was good specifically because of the pressure - I knew the routes the deer used to escape pressure from other hunters.  

At the end of the day, all most of us really want is to be able to enjoy our hunt.  For me in the southern half of the state, that means being able to co-exist with others sportsmen and women because, thankfully, there are a lot of us.  IMHO, eliminating "claims" people make to a spot by leaving a stand there is an important part of that.

Take care and enjoy whatever outdoors activities you have left this season.

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 10:30 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Hats off to you guys who hunt public land.  If that's all I had, I'd sell all my guns and buy a nicer boat!

Edited on 12/10/17 1:46 PM
Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 7:59 AM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

To all of you “ethical and right doers”.  I’ll provide exact GPS coordinates of the trees I used to sit and you can pack in your Lone Wolf stands into these spots.  They won’t fit in the white pines though.  Talk to me after that.  PM me and I’ll provide anyone with those spots.  I have moved north.

Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 7:32 AM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

Don’t criticize unless you’ve walked a day in their shoes is the most basic rule I teach my sons and students .  Every situation is different .  The only time I have hung a stand in public land was in areas I knew no one hunted so I wasn’t infringing on anyone’s personal space.  Most of the time you couldn’t even tell there was a stand in the tree.  I just climbed the tree and strapped it in at the appropriate spot.  It was dangerous in broad daylight let alone in the dark as this was before the advent of safety belts and way before climbing sticks.

Brad your situation isn’t remotely close to mine.  I wouldn’t even waste my time setting up in an area with heavy human traffic.  I did that once on the Horicon Marsh when I climbed up on a pile of cleared trees overlooking a bedding area.  I saw plenty of deer but I left after an hour after slugs started flying past me.

The point is that every situation is different.  Putting stands up in southern Wisconsin where public land is limited before the season probably isn’t practical but you also aren’t walking 2 miles or wading through cattails to get to your stands because public land parcels aren’t that large in southern Wisconsin generally speaking. Most hunters won’t put the extra effort to travel long distances or travel through tough cover.  Take advantage of that.  Pattern the hunters and predict where they will push the deer when they walk into the area in the morning.  You won’t have to get up so early as it takes time for the deer to make it back to those safe areas.  I guess I would like to know where those hunters are so I can pattern them and set up appropriately.  This type of hunting requires a lot of planning but it seems like you are willing to go the xtra yard. It has worked for me, my family and my friends in both Meadow Valley and the Horicon Marsh.  

I now hunt in northern Wisconsin where hunter density is ridiculously low.  It didn’t seem like the deer changed their patterns at all during the season.  My son shot a buck and doe and both times deer moved through the area a 1/2 hour after he shot. Most hunters up here hunt within sight of a logging road because the deer use those roads as travel corridors.  FYI wolves and coyotes do too??

Edited on 12/10/17 7:39 AM
Post Your Comment
12/10/17 @ 1:33 AM
Brad
Brad
USER since 6/19/01

About 10 years ago, I shot a nice 8 point buck on mid afternoon of the opener on a  VERY popular track of public land in south central wisconsin.  Typically, I would have waited until after dark to start dragging it out, but I had a family obligation that I did not want to miss, so I started dragging.  I was hoping to get back to the truck and on the road before the season closed, but I didn't make it.  After the season closed, several guys passed me on their way out.  A couple of them asked me if I was the guy they saw on the way in "X" spot on the way in.... Yup...

Fast forward to the next season.  I show up at 3 am, first truck in the lot and walk out.  Sure as you know what, there is an empty stand in a tree 20 yards from where I shot my buck the previous year!  I hunted that spot for 10 or 12 years straight by getting my dead butt out of bed at 1 a.m. and getting there first.  No way in the wide world of sports was I going to find another spot, so I put my stand up and waited for the fireworks. 

Around 5:30 a.m. I saw 3 hunters walking towards me.  As I always, do, I shined my light into the tree above me.  INSTANTLY, one of the 3 guys started to swear.  A lot.  He carried on for about 30 seconds - I was about to tell him to shut his pie hole or I was going to call the police.  Thankfully, one of the guys from his group spoke up and set him straight about first come, first serve on public land.  Pretty much told him to stfu and find a new spot.

No one will ever convince me that it is OK to leave stands on public property.  I should not have to worry about a situation like this (or worse) when I do everything right.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 31 to 40 of 123 Posts