I'm starting to think the DNR actually hates deer...

6/14/18 @ 6:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04

They are giving out three free doe tags in many counties this year with each license. That means you can shoot up to eight deer between your bow and gun.

Unbelievable.

(Tried to attach the map, but can't do it. Counties include Shawano, Waupaca, Oconto, Green Lake, Marquette, Washington, Ozaukee, Grant, Vernon & Buffalo)

Edited on 6/14/18 7:00 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts
6/17/18 @ 10:06 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
I have land in Shawano co. in the town of Red River. I planted 500 ash and 500 hybrid poplar and some oak trees there in 2007 and they are still not above the deer browse height.  The only thing that the deer dont touch is cherry and Norway Pine. They are even eating the white pine buds as of this spring.  I have ash trees I planted from the same bunch here in Washington co. and they are 15'tall , in Shawano they look like bushes. There is no regeneration of much of anything anymore. No cedars, Hemlock,, poppies, very little oaks ash, maple, or much of anything.  I hardly bother planting trees there anymore. I dont hunt it, my BIL and cousins do cause it is all small parcels of land but adjacent 52 ac. between mine and my cousins land. It is over hunted so i dont bother. I wish we could have an Oct. rifle hunt again so I could shoot them . Sorry I dont agree with the crowd here but the day will come where there is little to no regeneration of the northern forest the way it should be  and most here just dont see the problem at all.

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 7:10 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01

Management objectives are in place for 3 years. Increase, maintain, or decrease. The harvest quotas and season structures are used yearly to best meet those objectives.

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 6:53 PM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01

What is interesting is that part of the deer study that was done by Kroll was that things should stay in place for 3 years and then assess where they're at  and continue every 3 years and re-access but they change everything year after year.

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 4:10 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10

Percentage wise, the vast majority of the tags are for private. In some counties it is a 5 or even 6:1 for private to public tags.

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 1:35 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I've actually been worried about the deer eating my whole forest.  Glad they put something in place.  

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 12:37 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Glad to hear they worked within the framework of the CDAC. Mostly. 6 free tags per license should have the intended effect and there probably are a lot of spots that could use some lower deer numbers to give our WDNR credit.  There will also be a hell of a lot of public ground absolutely abused. Start the cycle . And kvandehei I've seen some astonishingly uneducated CDAC voters. One in  particular did not know deer eat maple saplings......others that wouldn't know the barrel from the butt of a deer rifle .....but I digress.

Edited on 6/15/18 12:45 PM
Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 11:08 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10

Smiling from ear to ear, Drive up an hour further and shoot 5 or 6 and save mine. The DNR is remarkable

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 9:18 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04

LB- Like you say, public lands in these areas are hit especially hard. I hunt mostly public.

I shoot only what I need...haven't shot a doe in many years.

Part of my issue is just giving the tags away. If guys really need/want the meat, they will pay $3 per extra tag, and bingo- our "always broke" DNR can have some more money and maybe put a few more wardens in the field.

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 9:14 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Farnorth - Yes, it was approved by the CDAC. Which means the people actually educated with facts on the topic rather than personal experience and opinions support the decision.

There's actually a 20 page document regarding the decision, rationale and goals of the plan. I'd suggest reading it before formulating irrational opinions.

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 9:13 AM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10

The NRB only differed from CDAC recommendations in three instances. The rest of them they agreed with.

https://dnr.wi.gov/About/NRB/2018/May/2018-05-2B2%20MODIFIED.pdf

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts