Hunting Rituals

11/15/15 @ 1:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IZZY Outdoors
IZZY Outdoors
USER since 4/24/08
Just starting a new thread to see what kinds of things people do the week before gun season starts to get you pumped up and ready for the opener. For me I go through all my hunting stuff and clean everything and make it look new. I also go out and clean my truck top to bottom. And for that whole week I watch public hunting videos everyday.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
11/11/16 @ 2:59 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I think I've mentioned it in other threads what we do every year, but I'll mention some again.  My dad picks up 10 cases of High Life for the crew,  I picked up 8 bottles of some very good Belgian ales.  We also pick up tons of food including thick cut bacon, pork sausage, chicken wings, etc.  We also do venison once or twice during the week.  

All of us head up Thursday after work where deer camp officially begins.  Friday we hit up all the local taverns and drink bloodys, beer, and sign up for all the buck pools.  Normally after that we would go to the huge gun raffle at the local supper club, but unfortunately it got sold off so no more gun raffle.  Opening weekend we all hunt very hard.  Most of us sit the whole day minus heading in to use the bathroom and eat lunch.  Monday and Tuesday we usually have a few deer to butcher so we sit until 9:00-9:30 then head in to get started on skinning and quartering.  We'll do that until about 1pm and then head back to the woods.  Wednesday rolls around and at least half of us head up to my other uncle's farm in Jackson County where we get back to hunting hard.  Thanksgiving thursday is just like any normal day as my family celebrates our Thanksgiving on Friday instead so the whole family including all the in laws can make it.  I hunt until about 11 or 12 on friday then get down so I can go visit with the non hunting side of the family.  Saturday we head back to the main farm again, and Sunday I usually head home early in the morning to beat the normal traffic nightmare.

It's about the same thing every year and I love it.  Deer camp is about way more than just hunting.

Edited on 11/11/16 3:00 PM
Post Your Comment
11/11/16 @ 2:25 PM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01

Mine has started.  First, take all blaze orange and hang it on the porch to air out for a couple weeks.  Then make sure all necessary items are removed from my camo gear and put with/on the blaze orange.

Then comes going through all of the stuff, making sure I have everything, and making a shopping list.  I made a checklist aboout 20 years ago that works well for me.  When the item is accounted for and put in the garage, it gets checked off.  When it's put in the truck, crossed off.

Sunday I'll start some of the cooking: Smoked pheasants, smoked cheddar, and goose jerky for next Friday afternoon's BS session with everyone.  Also smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving.  Make it ahead so come Thursday, throw it in the oven when we go out for the afternoon.  Come in, dinner is served!

The final part also starts Sunday.  I have to eat 1 meal of venison per day to "Become one with the deer..." until Friday.

This year is extra special with my son not only coming along but now having a gun for the first time.  He took a doe during the Youth Hunt weekend, and now is chomping at the bit to get a buck.

Post Your Comment
11/11/16 @ 10:12 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

I wash all my clothes and put them in bins. I shoot my weapons and dial them in. I also shower right before going.out, every time. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
11/11/16 @ 9:29 AM
Fishy1960
Fishy1960
USER since 10/15/15

I wear clean underware and take a shower-a few days before hunting.

Post Your Comment
11/11/16 @ 5:21 AM
lildipper
lildipper
USER since 8/17/16

Gotta play my turdy point buck tape at least a hundred times, they hardly play it on the radio anymore.

Post Your Comment