MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Hunting or Shooting???

1/22/18 @ 8:59 PM
INITIAL POST
Gill-bert
Gill-bert
User since 6/19/16
Is climbing in an Enclosed blind to hunt an advantage to the hunter? I believe it is (jmo) is it fair chase?
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
1/23/18 @ 3:36 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Bow hunting I'd rather be in a stand in a tree hunting downwind of a travel corridor.  Gun hunting I'd rather be in one of our tower blinds that have heaters.  Are either really hunting?  I'm looking for a nice buck either way gun or bow.  I know I'll have food either way, and I know my family will shoot enough deer to fill the freezer.  I'm not concerned about that.  I personally consider rifle hunting easy mode, but it is still hunting and I still do it and enjoy it.  It's not like you walk out to the woods and there is a 170" buck tied to a tree.  You still have to do some planning and hope for a lot of luck to get the job done.  

1/23/18 @ 3:02 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

fair chase term was coined for Fenced vs Non fenced.  Does that answer your question?  If it's a 10,000 acre ranch,  hunting a spot that is fenced,  someone on the outside can't kill that animal. That's not fair chase.

Hunting in a blind on private or public land is considered fair chase and if you think it's not and you don't like it,  don't do it.

Someone brought up the point of fishing in a shanty,  with a vexilar....sure,  the fisherman has an advantage but i've seen plenty of dudes with all the technology and still can't catch a cold. 

I don't think that is comparing apples to apples.

Now if you are talking gun hunting out of blind,  all gun hunting regardless of how you do it is just shooting.  killing animals with a gun is not very difficult.  it's hunting,  but no one does it for a challenge.  If you live in Alaska off the land and kill with a gun that is hunting for survival.  that's not the case in WI.  The people that need deer for food don't buy a tag and partake in gun season.  they open the door and kill one at the bird feeder and drag it in the garage.

Hunting deer with a bow from the ground,  regardless of a natural blind or store bought is one of the most difficult ways to kill a deer.  The people that do it regularly should be proud cause it's much harder than in a tree.

1/23/18 @ 2:44 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

If I were a deer I'd take the cold guy because his finger could be so frozen that he couldn't pull da trigger.

1/23/18 @ 1:39 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

My land has a lot of tag alders and tall canary grass so being elevated is a definite plus . 

What no one else mentioned  is the safety factor involved  . Gun safety is always a concern , but I always felt better  knowing most shots would be downward rather than horizontal  . 

Some years I had 5 hunters on 75 acres , just gave me some peace of mind.  

I did sit elevated for the last 12 years  . Finally  closed it in 3 years ago. Must admit I don't miss rain or snow down my neck , since I was always there dark to dark  . Unless there was a deer to attend to .

I did stump sit , still hunt or drive for the first 28 years , but the knees had the final word .

1/23/18 @ 1:34 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
Look at it from the deer's perspective. 

You're going to get shot at. 

Would you rather be shot at by someone warm and comfortable with a good solid rest, or someone half frozen with numb fingers and shivering likely to make an offhand shot right through the guts?  Because you KNOW he's going to take the shot.....

Granted, you get your idiots making a bad shot from comfort, as well as an expert marksman perched on a limb.

1/23/18 @ 12:17 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"Fair Chase" - in the eye of the beholder.  There are guys who say baiting, crossbows, compound bows, deer drives, etc. are not fair chase.  Unless you hunt naked with a stick sharpened from a piece of stone, someone will argue every hunting method used is not fair chase.
1/23/18 @ 11:36 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I sat in my fully enclosed deer stand with drop down windows (which weren't even down), heater on in a t-shirt while I shot my third buck opening morning this year. Biggest challenge was setting down my cup of coffee fast enough to grab my gun before he was out of my shooting lane.

Thank god for party tags - guess I'm a "shooter" and not a "hunter"

We've hunted the same land for 20+ years. Started out with climbing stands and before cameras were a thing we relied on our time in the stands and scouting for deer signs (do kids these days even know what those are?). We put the time in to find out where it was worth putting up a permanent stand to be able to hunt in luxury nowadays. I guess back then I was a "hunter"

What a stupid discussion.

1/23/18 @ 11:25 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
Let's apply the concept to sitting on a 5-gallon bucket vs. sitting in a heated Ice Castle with a Vex.  I guess the guy on the bucket is a "fisherman" and the lazy guy in the shack is just a "catcher."
1/23/18 @ 11:02 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I think its a matter of perspective.  Our ancestors probably thought a sharp stick and rock were an advantage.  Fair chase is just a modern idea implemented by people who don't really need to hunt to survive.  I'm picturing the first indian to use a musket getting crap from his buddies about fair chase.

Aside from the comfort level, an enclosed blind is no different than any stand.  It is still hung in a tree that I assume was scouted out in some form or another.  The difference can be who is sitting in the blind.  During gun season there are quite a few people who show up to the woods for the first time on opening day and get led to a stand.  They don't do the scouting or any work, they are just told to sit here and shoot a deer.  So in my eyes they are just shooters and shooters get a lot of big bucks every year.  The actual hunters though are the people who did the work to set those people up.

A friend's wife shot 3 bucks one gun season (anti-party tag guys are dying now).  She was there 1 day, only day of the year she went in the woods.  Now is she a hunter or a shooter?  I say shooter LOL. 

With a kid, especially a young kid, its up to the parent or mentor to involve them in the hunt.  Sure they can still sit in a nice blind and shoot deer, but if they are involved in reading sign and setting things up, then they are hunting and not just shooting.  My perspective anyways.

1/23/18 @ 10:35 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14

I'd say its an advantage. Staying warm out of the elements allows you to sit longer. I have a stump blind and I really like it. I only use it during gun season. Bow season I've got to be in the tree.

1/23/18 @ 10:34 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I think it's definitely fair chase. Is it an "advantage" to the hunter to stay warm and comfortable? Sure is! Will said hunter be guaranteed success because he/she is warm and comfortable? Nope! 

The last couple years I've had the "luxury" of hunting private land, and it's box blinds on farm field edges. I certainly enjoy it, but I do miss being in the woods and seeing other wildlife. I just wish I had options out there...in woods sitting old school when it's decent out and in the blind when it's super windy and freezing. 

1/22/18 @ 10:49 PM
Gill-bert
Gill-bert
User since 6/19/16

I agree huntfish guess I'm most worried about lots of youngsters and them only knowing of shooting deer from a warm enclosed blind.

1/22/18 @ 10:01 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Each to their own. Man, when its cold and windy I wish I was sitting in one. Me, I love the fresh air and being on the ground or in a stand. When I'm cold and can't take it, and need to leave, I'm fine with the quarry being the winner. In a sense to me, it is an unfair advantage. I'm no spring chicken, and someday I'll be in one just to hunt.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE