Enclosed Box Blind-Wind Direction Matter

2/1/18 @ 4:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Due to various reasons, my days of hugging a tree as my only way to hunt are waning and I purchased 2 fully enclosed box blinds with foldable windows that I am preparing for next year.  I have never hunted out of ones of these before and I am curious, do I need to worry about wind direction like I do in a tree stand or ground blind?  My gut tells me I still do, but it won't be as much of a factor.  If I don't need to at all, I have some unique placed I would like to set up that I have not been able to place due to prevailing West winds I get in this area in the fall. 

In one particular place, I have a ridge where I would like to place a blind. My food plot will be only 20 yards from where I would like the blind.  Would I be able to hunt this with a downwind into the foodplot? 

Those who have hunted out of blinds, do you find when deer are downwind you don't get busted?  I am really careful with my stand selection for the day and in 25+ hunts last year, was only winded twice.  Both times were old does who picked me out in the tree, circled down wind and busted me via their nose.  One is in the freezer. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 28 Posts
2/12/18 @ 2:33 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Long Barrels - think it is much different than shooting a turkey out of a ground blind?  With turkeys, picking which window to shoot out of can be a very quick process and often have to switch as the birds moves.  I am sure it will be learning process.  I like hunting out of tree stands, but like stated, times are changing and will have 2 blinds for next year. 

No-luck - I like what you have to say and hope I can experience the same.  Where I am at, there are all sorts of human structures, equipment and the deer don't seem to care. 

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 7:06 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12

Some may apply to your questions.  I have been hunting out of Hub Style ground blinds on 6 foot high platforms the past couple of years.  I use a crossbow and put a small table in the blind to use as a rest.  Easier to use crossbow in blind than a ladder stand IMO.  Scent has not been an issue, numerous times have had deer walk within 5 yards of blind.  I have found that having side windows open can be a no-no, deer can pick up movement.  As mentioned put them up before season starts and do disturb until ready to hunt.  It seems that deer could care less, I think maybe because they see so many things close to the ground in farm fields and danger normally comes from above.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 3:15 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

SJB,  no man it's all good.  I'm not poking holes in any theories.  It was just pointing out the struggles I faced.  I was just saying that a banks blind was a eye opener for me.  I thought it would be awesome,  just slide the window open or leave em open and shoot.  The reality was it's hard than I expected.  I learned things,  maybe next year I can seal the deal in one if i hunt in one.  I would expect that i will,  I need to win. :)

I'm sure you'll have luck at some point and i'm sure moving the blind to the perfect spot could/may/will take time.  Once you got it i'm sure it will be great. 

Edited on 2/8/18 3:17 PM
Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 2:39 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Haven't hurt my feelings fish.

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 12:37 PM
Fish4ice
Fish4ice
USER since 1/7/12

I don't mean to lump into your post, but I was also considering getting out of my tree stand and putting up a box blind. 

My biggest question is in regards to a crossbow. Can you shoot a crossbow out of most blinds? Do people add extra insulation to damper sound? What's a good brand that doesn't break the bank? 

Again, don't mean to lump my post into yours. 

Post Your Comment
2/8/18 @ 11:07 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Thanks for your POV Cold Front - I think we have different type of set ups.  Near my FP I have refuges that I never go into (except tracking deer).  That is where most of my deer come from.  If I were to set up a stand between their bedding area and feeding area, I would be in or very near the refuge. 

I also hear you about being able to get in and out without being detected.  I always put those thought into my stand locations as well.  One stand I have right now I cross a river to come in undetected.  Can become a real pain when we get any heavy rain in fall, but works otherwise. 

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 3:40 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

SJB  My point was to not be too concerned about shooting deer while they are on the plot. If your plot is drawing deer, you will see the trails leading to them. Walk those trails back and look for a good vantage point to shoot them while they are coming or going during bow season. Keep a lane open for gun season that extends to the plot. The next question is can you get to the stand without spooking anything? You will have a lot of time and money in a box blind. You will want to hunt it often.You need to be able to 1. get to your stand and 2. get up in the stand without putting on a show for the local talent. 3.Figure out the prevailing winds that would allow you to use that location. It takes a lot of time to figure all that out. I have one stand that only gets used when there is a south or south east wind. I often think that maybe I could have done better on that one, however when the wind is right, it is a sweet set-up. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
2/5/18 @ 3:16 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I think having a fully enclosed box blind helps, but doesn't solve the scent issue completely.  From my experience of hunting out of our 12'-14' box blinds, granted mine aren't fully enclosed, the deer just walk right past them like anything else in the forest.  The deer consider it a part of their environment.  However, if I'm in there and a mature deer walks downwind I can almost guarantee they will smell me because from past experience they move very cautiously if not completely turning around.  I like hunting out of the blinds, but I don't like shooting my bow out of it.  I think if you just hunt it for wind direction like you would any other stand you won't have any issues.

Post Your Comment
2/5/18 @ 10:57 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Thanks for your replies  (except for i-up, you are a tool.  Your post is of zero help.)

Ihookem - You are probably right.  Betting against a deer's nose is a seldom win, even in a box blind. 

Long Barrels - I was thinking more about your post.  The way I have my food plots set up (in a heavy ag area), they are a staging area prior to the deer heading out in the evening to feed.  Most of the time, the deer hang out 10-20 min before leaving to feed in the fields.  During rut, bucks will come in and do a check.  My food plots purposely  have growth in the middle so the buck have to do more than a step out and look and move on type of thing.  They have to enter the FP and make their way around to search for a doe.  Therefore, that really quick shot I don't think is my case and I should have time - at least that is what my thinking is.  Feel free to poke holes in my theory. 

And thermals - all of my stands are perched in the high area of where I am hunting.  Understanding thermals a bit, the box blind should only help, right?  If the windows are closed, and the box blind is sealed all around, I should not be at risk until I open a window.  Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Cold front - how close can I get away with a box blind?  Right now most of my stands for my foodplots are within 20 yards of the edge of my fp, to still make 40-45 yard shots.  Even with that being said, with my fp in the 1/4-1 acre size, I can't shoot due to range in most spots. 

Post Your Comment
2/2/18 @ 8:02 PM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

I've had deer, even small bucks walk inbetween the ladder and tree on a regular ladder stand. I didn't have my scentlock, cover scent or ozonics!

I think sometimes they might smell you, but if you don't move or make any noise they'll be on edge, but won't immediately take off.

In my opinion, you can have all the fancy smancy scent elimination products, but your best bet is to play the wind.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 28 Posts