MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Enclosed Box Blind-Wind Direction Matter

2/1/18 @ 4:49 PM
INITIAL POST
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Due to various reasons, my days of hugging a tree as my only way to hunt are waning and I purchased 2 fully enclosed box blinds with foldable windows that I am preparing for next year.  I have never hunted out of ones of these before and I am curious, do I need to worry about wind direction like I do in a tree stand or ground blind?  My gut tells me I still do, but it won't be as much of a factor.  If I don't need to at all, I have some unique placed I would like to set up that I have not been able to place due to prevailing West winds I get in this area in the fall. 

In one particular place, I have a ridge where I would like to place a blind. My food plot will be only 20 yards from where I would like the blind.  Would I be able to hunt this with a downwind into the foodplot? 

Those who have hunted out of blinds, do you find when deer are downwind you don't get busted?  I am really careful with my stand selection for the day and in 25+ hunts last year, was only winded twice.  Both times were old does who picked me out in the tree, circled down wind and busted me via their nose.  One is in the freezer. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
2/27/18 @ 11:40 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Have to agree with Long Barrels, biggest buck I have seen on my property was during a moderate rain, caught me by surprise. Also I agree shot placement the key.

2/27/18 @ 8:04 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Oh man,  you had to ask...I guess I don't worry about it to be honest with you.  You always try and put it where it needs to be and you don't have to worry about blood.  Really nothing else I can say.  Ideally you want to see the deer fall, right?  40-60 tops usually if you put it through both lungs.  Take only good close shots.  I don't know what else to say.  Unethical?  Maybe depending on who you talk to.  Three of the biggest wisconsin whitetails i know of were shot in the mist and light rain.  None were mine,  but since then,  I hunt it.  All three bucks were in the 160's.  I don't sit in the rain for enjoyment,  I do it because there is something to it.  The big deer walk around in it.

I can't say I sit in a downpour if I can predict it,  who does?  

2/26/18 @ 4:59 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Long Barrels - how do you deal with tracking blood in the rain?  I specifically don't hunt in those conditions due to the ability to track. I am colored blind and have a tough time seeing blood on dry ground much less wet.  But maybe I am missing something here. 

2/26/18 @ 8:05 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

some of the biggest bucks i've encountered in the woods have been during a light rain, mist or just stopped.  I hunt the rain.  i wish we had more days with rain.  I pray for it mid to late Oct.  Light mist,  10:30 to 1pm,  seems like a good time to get super lucky.  It's almost like they know no one is out in the woods.  Smart animals.

2/23/18 @ 10:53 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Yes too many years of cold rain or snow finally convinced me  .

Now if it is dark and raining I walk out with an umbrella and am dry for the rest of the day.  

2/23/18 @ 4:22 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

I am sure both of you are right.  I do recall a morning this past year bowhunting.  The rain lasted longer than it was suppose to, but was going to clear up.  I stayed in the truck, until it let up.  If I had an enclosed blind, I would have walked the 10-15 min in the rain to the blind, then been nice and dry from there.  That is one case where it would have been nice for sure. 

2/23/18 @ 3:04 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

You will like having them available.  I normally sit in tree stands while bowhunting, but when the weather is bad or it's cold as hell I like having the option of sitting in one of the blinds rather than freezing or staying home.

2/23/18 @ 11:07 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

You will enjoy it,  it's different for sure.

2/23/18 @ 9:45 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Thanks long barrels.  I am sure I will have a learning curve too.  To be honest, not really looking forward to it, but times are changing.  I have a color blind issue and during dusk and dawn, all browns, oranges and greens blend for me.  Seeing deer is very tough at these times and I rely on my ears a ton.  Another disadvantage I will have to overcome.  Like I stated, I am not pulling down my actual tree stands, but adding enclosed blinds to my options. 

2/22/18 @ 3:50 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

yeah,  I think the challenge of turkey hunting with the bow is close. 

Initially my post said I think it's tougher...but maybe I should say it's just different.  I've been unsuccessful shoot a turkey with the bow more than the number i've killed.   that said,  the few I have killed i knew they were coming and i was ready.  Deer it was odd,  I couldn't hear chit.  Usually I can hear a deer before I see it outside of the first couple weekends when everything is green.  So out of a blind,  my ears where taken away from me.

This year,  the elevated blinds were more so in travel areas,  I found myself those few seconds too late almost every time.  Live and learn,  next year i'll try again but do things differently. 

2/12/18 @ 2:33 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Long Barrels - think it is much different than shooting a turkey out of a ground blind?  With turkeys, picking which window to shoot out of can be a very quick process and often have to switch as the birds moves.  I am sure it will be learning process.  I like hunting out of tree stands, but like stated, times are changing and will have 2 blinds for next year. 

No-luck - I like what you have to say and hope I can experience the same.  Where I am at, there are all sorts of human structures, equipment and the deer don't seem to care. 

2/8/18 @ 7:06 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Some may apply to your questions.  I have been hunting out of Hub Style ground blinds on 6 foot high platforms the past couple of years.  I use a crossbow and put a small table in the blind to use as a rest.  Easier to use crossbow in blind than a ladder stand IMO.  Scent has not been an issue, numerous times have had deer walk within 5 yards of blind.  I have found that having side windows open can be a no-no, deer can pick up movement.  As mentioned put them up before season starts and do disturb until ready to hunt.  It seems that deer could care less, I think maybe because they see so many things close to the ground in farm fields and danger normally comes from above.

2/8/18 @ 3:15 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

SJB,  no man it's all good.  I'm not poking holes in any theories.  It was just pointing out the struggles I faced.  I was just saying that a banks blind was a eye opener for me.  I thought it would be awesome,  just slide the window open or leave em open and shoot.  The reality was it's hard than I expected.  I learned things,  maybe next year I can seal the deal in one if i hunt in one.  I would expect that i will,  I need to win. :)

I'm sure you'll have luck at some point and i'm sure moving the blind to the perfect spot could/may/will take time.  Once you got it i'm sure it will be great. 

2/8/18 @ 2:39 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Haven't hurt my feelings fish.

2/8/18 @ 12:37 PM
Fish4ice
User since 1/7/12

I don't mean to lump into your post, but I was also considering getting out of my tree stand and putting up a box blind. 

My biggest question is in regards to a crossbow. Can you shoot a crossbow out of most blinds? Do people add extra insulation to damper sound? What's a good brand that doesn't break the bank? 

Again, don't mean to lump my post into yours. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE