SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

CWD found in Eau Claire County

4/18/18 @ 9:56 PM
INITIAL POST
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

A wild 2 year old doe was found with CWD Southwest of Eau Claire.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
4/25/18 @ 8:53 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

I know the study that is paying people to determine that CWD causes deer to die faster in comparison to healthy deer is supported by the funds.  They could have used the funds to support a study if people like jelly or peanut butter better.

Diverting these funds to UW-Madison should be workable....somehow.

4/24/18 @ 12:30 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

I may be wrong but I think that at least some of those studies are funded with Pittman-Robertson dollars so involving a private business would not be an option. 

Tim

4/24/18 @ 7:28 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"you are right the DNR doesn't have the money."

Most likely true, but the State has already burned up probably $30-$100 million dollars (don't know the exact number) since 2002 on unhelpful studies (like the study that shows CWD infected deer die sooner than non-infected deer), management, sharpshooters, testing, etc. with most of the funding occurring in the early years.  That is only one State.  UW-Madison or other research institutions can do a lot with that type of money.  Diverting the money to private/public disease research institutions would go a long way in learning more about the disease, and potentially finding a cure.

4/23/18 @ 8:53 PM
hockeybob
User since 4/20/11

Google CWD in Canada. They fed CWD infected deer to monkeys for 6 months straight. 3/5 were infected with CWD. Every deer I shoot will be tested before I or my family will eat that deer.

4/23/18 @ 3:35 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

It was also just found in Oneida county from a wild deer in the town of Crescent (sw of rhinelander) not too far from where the Lincoln county positive was found.

4/23/18 @ 3:24 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Ya we know the prions are the same and you are right the DNR doesn't have the money.

4/23/18 @ 2:17 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

There is no doubt in my mind that CWD infected deer have been eaten but as of now there has not been a crossover. You are totally right on the cattle thing- if it they became infected by deer shed prions this thing would blow up. My biggest question is where is it coming from? And how or why? I think those questions need to be answered. Alot of people blame deer farms and that is where alot is found but how did they get it? This issue does not get attention it deserves for sure.

4/23/18 @ 1:31 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

My point of view after doing some research and speaking with DNR biologists. 

There is not anything we can do that will have an impact on slowing its spread.  Research is the only area that may contain a resolution of some sort, but that is even doubtful. Deer becoming resistant to prion is highly doubtful.

Once in the environment, it is permanent.  Killing healthy/sick deer to reduce herd size has not shown to have any impact.  States where it has been found have tried different measures and none have shown any success.

No one can state with certainty that CWD hasn't existed in WI far longer than thought.

In theory, there are a group have actions that when combined together may slow its spread, but the public will never accept.

All harvested animals remains are incinerated, no transportation of carcasses from infected areas to non infected areas, "think townships", added fees to licenses to fund research, increased regulations and restrictions on deer farms, restrictions on transporting topsoil, wood, crop products from infected areas to non infected areas., to name a few.

4/23/18 @ 1:14 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Yeah, most likely.  The other thing that would create funding is if CWD crossed the species barrier into livestock.  Few funding sources available unless humans or livestock impacted.  Not enough ordinary people really care about us as hunters.
4/23/18 @ 12:15 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

JC someone will have to die from eating tainted deer meat before that funding will happen unfortunetly. Its knocking on the door of Buffalo county now and there are millions invested there. Its time for hunters and state wildlife managers to get serious about combating this horrible problem.

4/23/18 @ 11:15 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

From WDNR release:

"As has been demonstrated in the past in other parts of the state, local citizen involvement in the decision-making process as well as management actions to address this CWD detection will have the greatest potential for success."

The standard inclusion of "success" by WDNR.  Who are they kidding?  "Management actions?"  Who are they kidding?  There is nothing they can do to combat CWD, but this flowery language used every time CWD is found in another location is beyond sickening to me.  There is no hope of managing our way out of CWD, and this consistent message of false hope I believe delays any chance to rid the disease from the landscape.  Novices read this stuff and think that CWD will simply be managed away, when instead everyone should be pushing for more funding and research.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE