MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Buffalo Co Doe Only 2019

4/19/19 @ 1:40 PM
INITIAL POST
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Will it stay or go?

CDAC changes its final recommendation to doe only.

Edit. Only story right now is jsonline, May not be able to access without paying. I can imagine in an hour or less it will be on other news outlets.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
5/6/19 @ 4:13 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Looks like money (or the prospect of losing it) talked loudly.  Beginning to erode the credibility of CDAC.

5/6/19 @ 3:26 PM
BeerTownFyreman

Looks like the DNR is recommending against Buffalo Co CDAC recommendation, as well as changing Monroe Co's tag numbers.

I had a manifesto typed, but didn't post. I will just say as someone who sits on a CDAC, I dont want to see any DNR changes to CDAC recommendations.

5/2/19 @ 1:58 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
No doubt on the agreement LB, passion is often taken the wrong way.. more of it is needed!
5/2/19 @ 1:55 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Full I figured the lines weren't always gray.  I think there is a hellava lot more we agree on,  i'm just a azzhole the way I present it.  

5/2/19 @ 1:49 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
I agree with LB on something lol. great point 
5/2/19 @ 1:41 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

GreatOutdoors,  I agree with your whole post.  Big buck killers tipping over a 4pt but complained about killing a doe.  turd logic at it's best,  Wi folk are good at that.

The reality is that doe are way harder to kill than any 1.5 or 2.5 year old buck.  People complain because they aren't easy as many people make it out to be.  When is the last time you had a young buck bag you and he's back the next day doing the same thing?  When is the last time you had big momma bag you for her to never come with in 50 yards of that setup.  That's why people kill faws cause mom isn't as easy as people make them out to be.

Famous line "oh,  JUST a doe".  She's smarter than the 1.5 year old bucks you kill every year.

5/2/19 @ 10:47 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
statewide was mentioned a few times, going off of that string. As for the meat tasting the same, of course. But there are a lot of people who don't bow hunt that only buy a gun tag, to go out and kill a buck regardless of size. I know more than i can count on both hands and feet.. if you don't, then i would be willing to bet you're in the minority.. i no doubt would still bow and gun hunt, but there are a large number i'd be willing to bet that would say screw it, hence the loss in revenue of one of their biggest, if not the biggest revenue generators. 
5/2/19 @ 10:23 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

No need for it to happen state wide so why the 500k licenses? Funny that you think nobody would buy a license if it was doe only though too, all the meat tastes the same once processed! 

The few lost licenses in Buffalo County wouldn't make much difference to the DNR.

5/2/19 @ 10:09 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
the DNR will not do anything that is going to hinder revenue. The CDAC recommendations being followed most of the time may be true.. but the DNR wouldn't let a drastic measure like this take place. I'd love to see the gun hunting numbers if they weren't allowed to shoot a buck. Won't ever let it happen imo... thinking they're going to mess with 500,000 (on a down year) x $24 to improve the deer herd.... mhmm... 
5/2/19 @ 8:07 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

I disagree that an antlerless only season will raise the buck kill because of nubbies.  Historically the percentage I believe is about 22% of antlerless killed are nubbies.  However, if you've got any skill at all it is pretty easy to avoid killing them.  We've shot well over 100 does off our land and have only shot 2 nubbies.  They are not hard to avoid.  If you're banging down nubbies during an antlerless only season that's just being stupid.

Earn a buck was a different beast.  People got stupid and anxious and didn't mind tipping over a fawn so they could belt a 4 pointer right away.  Too many people couldn't stand to have to let a buck walk by and had to get their buck tag validated immediately.  Antlerless only gives you all year to take some does and reduce the population.  No need to hurry and make mistakes.   

5/2/19 @ 6:49 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Antlerless only doesnt mean they have to shoot babies, obviously  there are plenty of adult does around or this wouldn't be considered.

5/1/19 @ 9:54 PM
Pontoonguy
User since 2/11/19

Doe only season will probably raise the buck kill, think how many buck fawns will be taken. Just like in the earn a buck seasons.

5/1/19 @ 2:05 PM
BeerTownFyreman

CDAC recommendatiions don't mean squat.

Care to elaborate? There is only 1 instance where 2 counties final recommendations were not followed... in almost 5 years of CDAC's. That was to revert back to preliminary recommendations after moves were made to accomodate potential herd struggles with a late season snowfall.

Every other final recommendation, from every county CDAC, has been approved. 

5/1/19 @ 12:47 PM
clubstrump
User since 4/17/18

Good luck doe only. Surrounding counties will see a  buck harvest increase.

Under current kill registration guidelines people can do whatever with little chance of getting caught.

CDAC recommendatiions don't mean squat. If they mattered it would have been buck only in much of the northern 1/3 for the past several years

5/1/19 @ 10:04 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Sorry, but you can't have doe only seasons in the northern 3rd of the state unless you want to have even fewer deer in the northwoods as now.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE