MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

bow hunting through gun seasons

10/13/18 @ 6:58 PM
INITIAL POST
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
User since 5/12/09
Can you bow hunt during the disability gun hunting season and if so do you have to wear blaze orange until its over with? I am new to hunting and trying to understand all rules so I don't do anything illegal. Thanks for any help. 
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/16/18 @ 11:54 AM
Mr.Jiggers
Mr.Jiggers
User since 1/3/10

This is right from the 2018 Deer Hunting Regulations. PAGE 11

I read it as blaze orange MUST be worn at all times when hunting.

Highly Visible Clothing Requirement

• When and where a firearm deer season (listed on page 8) is in progress, no person may hunt any game, except waterfowl, unless at least 50% of their outer clothing above the waist is colored blaze orange or fluorescent pink. A hat or other head covering, if worn, must be at least 50% blaze orange or fluorescent pink. Faded or stained blaze orange or fluorescent pink clothing is unsafe and may not meet law requirements. Although not as visible, camo-blaze is legal if 50% of the material is blaze orange or fluorescent pink. The DNR recommends 100% solid blaze orange or fluorescent pink. 

Note: Highly visible clothing requirements do not apply to those hunters participating in legal night hunting (e.g., raccoon) from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise.

11/16/18 @ 11:52 AM
Mr.Jiggers
Mr.Jiggers
User since 1/3/10

Took this snapshot right from the 2018 Deer Hunting Regulations.

I read it as blaze orange MUST be worn at all times when hunting.

11/16/18 @ 11:23 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Where do you read that in the regs about taking your orange off once in the stand. 

11/16/18 @ 10:08 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Pretty sure it's 50% of upper body in orange the entire time you're hunting. No way would I not want to be noticed by another hunter with a gun. 

11/16/18 @ 10:04 AM
fuzzyfishin
User since 3/26/07

I believe you must wair orange as if gun hunting until you get to your stand. At that point you may sit on stand in camo.

10/18/18 @ 6:35 PM
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
User since 5/12/09

thanks for the help guys ill have to look for any gun season and just wear orange. 

10/17/18 @ 9:52 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Yes wear orange during gun seasons, but don't think of it as a deterrent.  Pretty sure you could wear orange all season long and be fine.  I've had plenty of deer walk right past me while wearing full blaze orange suits. 

That being said I'd just wear an orange vest over my camo and a hat.

10/17/18 @ 9:13 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
Bowhunting is now open from start to close, there are no breaks. As for the orange...... just think it through. 
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE