Best area to buy hunting land

9/23/14 @ 9:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10
Hello fellow lake-linkers, I'm looking to purchase 50 to 80 acres of family hunting land. I would like to be no more than 2 hrs from Milwaukee. Looking for good area with quality bucks and good deer numbers. Any suggestions? Let's hear it. Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
8/25/15 @ 9:09 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
If your really serious about having a good spot! take some time and scout the area around there for hunting pressure. Go there on opening weekend and take notice of the hunting pressure. I don't care how good the habitat is or the food sources are, If the people in that area shoot the $#*& out of them, they wont be there. Its like any investments you have to look at the whole picture. Even if it means giving up a day or two of prime hunting its better then getting stuck with bad hunting land.

Post Your Comment
8/24/15 @ 3:19 PM
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
while I agree wtih thechief on location I may argue on the size I hunt both Richland and Waupaca counties and have seen big deer in both areas from my experiance Richland county has more deer keep in mind having high numbers of deer can limit growth due to limited food supply the nutrients will go into building the needed body mass first and antler development second also you have to decide what your definition of big is in 25 years of our family hunting the same 80 acres of private land in richland county we have only taken two that have scored over 140 you may want to check the record books that list by county to get an idea of what the area holds for big deer

Post Your Comment
9/26/14 @ 12:39 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
I will say this- the selection of the individual parcel is more important than the area, if you are talking southern/central WI. I own land in unit 62A and unit 33. Now 62A has about twice the deer density of 33, but the parcel in unit 33 has EXCELLENT habitat. The guys who hunt the unit 33 parcel do as well or better than we do in 62A because of that. I am talking about both numbers of deer/bucks and size.

If you are purchasing in the southern 1/2 of the state, spend lots of time finding the right habitat. It likely won't cost any more than average/poor habitat.

Post Your Comment
9/25/14 @ 1:12 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
If you are going to pass small and medium bucks, Waupaca and Shawano counties are good for quality and numbers. If you are going to shoot small bucks I would look elsewhere as you might not get along with the neighbors.

Post Your Comment
9/25/14 @ 8:28 AM
thechief
thechief
USER since 5/2/05
southwestern side of state (Richland County, Vernon county)

Post Your Comment