10 deer licenses sold to kids under 1 year of age.

11/29/17 @ 9:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09

Read on the WEAU website that 10 licenses were sold to "hunters" under 1 year old this season.

Unethical parents exploiting the law for a $5 tag.  This was not the intent of removing the age restriction.  Luckily, the youngest reported harvest was by a 4 year old.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 72 Posts
1/23/18 @ 11:14 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

I will deal with it, as there is no choice.  I recommend you contact your senators to have them get rid of the minimum age requirements for obtaining a drivers license also.  Why do we need rules, right?

Post Your Comment
1/22/18 @ 11:31 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER since 1/12/14

Typical. Let's ruin it for the ones that do follow the rules. Hell we might as well lock the whole world down. Go back to the ways of the west and the 6 gun. Come on JC. Even these so called leaders we vote for can't  stay on the straight. Let's not act like rubes here. We can go round and round. Law is not in your favor on this topic so deal with it. 

Edited on 1/22/18 11:32 AM
Post Your Comment
1/22/18 @ 11:11 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"Now we get a little freedom back and people are complaining?? Why do people need so many laws and government to tell them how they should live their life?? "

Because what was said, there are idiots that need to be regulated.  I am as conservative as you can get and a staunch proponent of hunting rights and guns as anybody.  But, to put guns in the hands of 7 year old kids and let their parents regulate what they do is a disaster waiting to happen.  Most people don't need to be told that letting their 7 year old partake in a deer drive by themselves is not a smart thing to do, but many don't care or believe their kid is a prodigy. 

Should we do away with the requirement a kid has to be 16 years old to drive a car?  

Post Your Comment
1/21/18 @ 1:57 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER since 1/12/14

Madfor sounds like they want more government to help with that. " Why is the rich man busy dancing, while the poor man pays the band." Travis Tritt 

Post Your Comment
1/21/18 @ 1:11 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

...because our society is overrun with an abundance of idiots who lack sound judgement and a measure of common sense necessitating laws to protect us from the bottom end of the bell curve.

Post Your Comment
1/21/18 @ 10:02 AM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13

I don't understand why everyone is so bent out of shape with the relaxing of this hunting law?  As the years go by, we slowly have freedoms stripped from us.   Now we get a little freedom back and people are complaining??  Why do people need so many laws and government to tell them how they should live their life??  

Post Your Comment
1/21/18 @ 7:24 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER since 1/12/14

I brought 2 guns. 1 was my 270 and 2 was 5.56. Here's my reasoning. The 5.56 is gas chambered semi auto so recoil is extremely minimal. The boy practiced up to 75yrds and that was the max distance I felt my son was comfortable with. 5.56 sighted in at 75yrd. Both guns cased until inside the tower. I brought my 270 so if ol booner was 200 yards out just teasing I could shoot. Both guns leaned in corner. The 5.56 wasn't loaded until we had a shot at his buck. Again we weren't deer driving, the boy wasn't marching threw the woods. We followed the book, safe hunt. My soon to be 6yr old may hunt in 2018. Copying the exact format of our 2017 hunt. Maybe additional rules need to be applied. #1 must be seated or in a encloser. All I can say is this change made 3 happy guys Saturday morning and a memory was created that will never be forgotten. Dad and his 2 boys harvesting a 1st buck. 

Post Your Comment
1/20/18 @ 9:38 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

One of the leading proponents of this change was the Sportsman's Alliance. I have had membership in this group for years. I have yet to decide if I am going to renew. I was all for the mentored hunting law. I am a former Hunter Safety Instructor and totally against 2 guns in a mentored situation. Glad I'm not teaching Hunter Safety anymore.

Tim 

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 4:50 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

I trust the same kid at 12 moreso than the same kid at 7, 8 or 9 years old.  I can't imagine giving my toddler a gun and having the kid tote a gun and trust they will not fire in somebody's direction. 

Yes, there are laws that are broken routinely which are hard to enforce, but at least the previous rule sure seemed to stop kids in diapers carrying guns in the woods on deer drives.  Since there is no minimum age law and the "mentor" can now carry a gun, a warden stopping guys after a drive coming out of the woods cannot prove a kid was not being mentored.  Before this change, if a kid 9 years old came stumbling out of the woods with a gun, there had better been an adult without a gun in the group.  

Edited on 1/19/18 4:51 PM
Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 4:30 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER since 1/12/14

Your right. Law is law. Regardless of the law people still break it. Alcohol is a big contributor to fatalities, does this mean we should raise the drinking age to 30. Can a 21 year old handle the responsibility? I don't know about you but I don't trust a 12 year old with a firearm. My point being JC is regardless of the law people will always abuse it. Same story different topic. Some are good and can understand the responsibility some can't.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 72 Posts