Whitefish

1/19/15 @ 8:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Walker Walleye
Walker Walleye
USER since 1/23/14
Looking for some advice want to ice fish for some white fish but I hear mixed reviews how they taste any thoughts? Also where si the best place to go fish for them that has a guide? Thanks in advance for the help.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
2/24/15 @ 10:08 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11
Definitely a softer fish but still delicious. I've had is smoked, deep-fried and baked. I personally prefer it baked, kind of prepared like a cod or any sort of white fish you'd order at a restaurant. Deep-fried isn't bad but with it being a softer fish it tends to fall apart more than a perch or even a crappie. I'm not a huge fan of smoked fish which is why I didn't care for it but if you like smoked fish then I've heard that whitefish is some of the best smoked. If you put in the extra time to remove the fat when filetting the fish you shouldn't have the issue of it being too fishy, especially when caught through the ice. Best thing to do is try it yourself. Limit is 10 out on the Bay which is more than enough for 2 meals if it is for a couple people so try some different recipes and let us know what you think!

Post Your Comment
1/22/15 @ 7:08 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Slightly off discussion, I caught one trolling crank-baits up in Ontario on a remote lake (about 2-3 lb) and filleted and fried it. It was all bone white and absolutely delicious! The resort owner reluctantly tried a piece and couldn't believe how good it was. He said he has only smoked them for the past 30 years. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 7:13 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
If you have a flip-top portable,some rods and maybe a heater...Can read LL threads...can wait until they're driving full sized trucksa on the ice and can follow a plowed road...

You don't really need a guide.

I suppose it'd be easiest though.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 8:11 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
I just got back from Green Bay this weekend had my first taste of Whitefish last night it was very good my wife and I both enjoyed it. It is soft but very tasty. If you watch some you tube cleaning videos you will find some good info on cutting away the fat or dark meat after skinning them and of course the belly. We went with Finquest out of Dykesville very good service and really nice warm shanty even had an outhouse shanty for the girls. $50 a person semi guided cant beat it. I will do it again when the bite is better.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 7:59 AM
bass2403
bass2403
USER since 10/15/03
I like whitefish at restaurants baked on a plank with potatoes around them.

I hear they fish for them in green bay. I don't know who guides for them though. I'd like to try for them myself some day.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 6:24 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06
I don't care what anyone says, the ONLY way they are edible is smoked. I find them very soft, mushy and fishy tasting/smelling when pan fried like normal panfish and walleye.

Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one...

Post Your Comment