Trolling rules Sawyer county

3/6/16 @ 10:20 AM
ORIGINAL POST
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
started this thread so that the fish reports thread doesn't get gummed up in discussion. this is C&P of an email sent out so various folks in Sawyer county to get opinions -------- ...Folks, Please take a moment to read this, I need your feedback. A brief background on the issue: Over the last few years there have been several Conservation Congress proposals related to fishing via motor trolling. The current rule we operate under in Sawyer County is 1 line per angler and a maximum of 2 lines per boat. Exceptions to that include: Nelson, LCO, Whitefish, Grindstone, Round, Chetac, and Windigo which are all 3 lines per angler, no restriction per boat. We have had this current arrangement since July of 2015. But it was decided by the Natural Resources Board that the current rule was to be temporary, meaning a new proposal has to be prepared to go back to the Congress if we want to continue to allow motor trolling. There is a desire to get rid of the complications that come from having one rule for a county and then having exceptions to that rule. There are also frustrations among some with the 2 lines per boat rule. As your county biologist I am being asked to propose Sawyer County and all its waterbodies be either: Option A: Maximum of 3 lines trolled per angler, no per boat restriction (this would mean more lines could be trolled on lakes that currently allow 1 trolled line per angler) OR Option B: Maximum of 1 line trolled per angler, 3 lines trolled per boat (this would mean less lines could be trolled on lakes that are currently allow 3 trolled lines per angler) Every county surrounding Sawyer will have 3 line trolling (Option A). The Department has done research on impacts of trolling on gamefish populations and has found no effect. This is viewed as a social/fishing methods issue. So I need social data from all of you! Please take a moment respond to this email and indicate: 1. Do you prefer Option A or Option B as the proposed regulation for Sawyer County (there would be no exceptions for certain lakes). 2. Has your opinion of trolling in Sawyer County changed since the new rules went into effect in 2015? 3. What issues do you have with the current trolling rule? 4. What issues do you have with either of the proposed trolling rules? I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT THIS WOULD BE A PROPOSED RULE. IT WOULD NEED TO GO THROUGH THE CONSERVATION CONGRESS BEFORE ANYTHING WOULD CHANGE Thanks for your time and important feedback. You may distribute this to others that may be interested and have them respond to max.wolter@wisconsin.gov Max H. Wolter Fisheries Biologist Hayward Service Center Bureau of Fisheries Management Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
3/15/16 @ 10:57 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
Hey, I fish one of the option "A" lakes near Hayward. When I troll, I have 6 lines out with no boards. I do this with two, three, or four people on board. I don't like boards, but that's just a personal thing. I have trolled SE lakes and gave up on days due to the guys with boards taking over the lake. I can see the point in not allowing more than 1 line per person on the smaller lakes. If we were all good sportsmen, more lines allowed would work, but not every guy thinks about the other guys. Don't know if I answered your question or not.

Ches.

Post Your Comment
3/14/16 @ 7:54 PM
Quester
Quester
USER since 1/28/07
Keep it the way it is, any more trolling lines on the small lakes will cause more problems!

People must have short memories about the time they opened back trolling on Vilas and Oneida class A musky lakes.

It was intended for walleye fisherman, but the Musky guides jumped on it, the harvest rate on big musky was unbelievable, contrary to what some would have you believe.

Post Your Comment
3/12/16 @ 9:48 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
opinions vary

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 10:11 AM
Work 2 Fish
Work 2 Fish
USER since 6/20/07
Wrong fight. Quit the NIMBY mentality(not in my back yard). trolling should be the same statewide. Stop punishing the responsible people who actually spend money to buy a fishing license and want to fish. People who have fishing rights that rape the waters of the ceded territory do more damage. Wrong fight.

Post Your Comment
3/9/16 @ 8:59 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
still didn't answer why these handful of lakes were no trolling before the new regulation...

the rest is all opinion

Post Your Comment
3/9/16 @ 8:03 AM
EYEfanatic
EYEfanatic
USER since 11/26/10
I don't believe the aesthetics would be lost. Trolling motors and kicker motors are very quiet compared to the jet skis, tubers/skiers, and the party barge pontoons. I don't see the difference between a boat trolling or a boat drifting while fishing. You'll see 10+ boats packed under and around the CC bridge jigging in the spring, a hundred boats all heading to Treelands or Pats landing during the Walleye Challenge, but a couple trollers ruin the serenity of the lake? What's the difference between a pontoon slowly cruising around and a boat going well under 5mph trolling? I know the recent rule change was to help the musky guys run a sucker while casting, I get that.

Post Your Comment
3/8/16 @ 11:16 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I guess you have to ask yourself why were they NO trolling prior to the new 2015 regulations...?? ...that's probably your answer

the new regulation, in my opinion, was to clarify the no trolling/vertical line rules that were extremely vague on these no trolling waters...

This was a great solution, and allowed some trolling by non-musky anglers as well.

... if the full on trolling is allowed, we lose the aesthetics of some of our most beautiful waters...

... these destinations are not just fishing destinations, there is also the benefit of a more quiet, natural, historical, etc., classic "up north" experience. There's more, but that's the short version...

it's only a few lakes... and I am NOT at all concerned about trolling hurting the fishery...

as far as rude behavior, that exists because of the person, not because of how they fish

Post Your Comment
3/8/16 @ 9:25 PM
EYEfanatic
EYEfanatic
USER since 11/26/10
It seems foolish to think that a boat trolling would automatically be rude or cause problems. The people who have a problem with trolling also seem to be the ones with little to no experience doing it. Like I said before, what makes these few lakes different from the thousands of other lakes in WI?

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 2:24 PM
ojibwalynn
ojibwalynn
USER since 3/7/16
I would be ok leaving it alone or allowing 1 line per angler, limit of 3 (option B) I would hate to see 3 anglers in a boat with planer boards out each side, 9 lines, yelling at other fishermen to give them room. One line each while trolling is plenty.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 10:54 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
got a reply back from Max as follows

"Thanks for the kind note. Very much appreciated.

As a general practice I don’t read internet comments. My contact information is available to the public and if people have comments or questions I prefer they come to me directly.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the trolling rules!"

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts