Too Many Largemouth Bass in the Lakes

6/18/14 @ 8:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fresh Air
Fresh Air
USER since 1/21/12
I know many of you have noticed the dramatic increase of the bass population in many of the lakes. After fishing for 6 days on some lakes in bayfield county, I couldn't believe how much the numbers of bass continue to rise. One lake in particular, that had bluegills on beds with many others in the shallows were easily outnumbered by the largemouth. Can't help but believe if the numbers continue to rise with out any change in limits both size and bag that the panfish numbers will be sharply affected along with many other fish. Just wondering what you all think. Good Fishing All!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
9/6/15 @ 9:44 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Fresh Air, I will try to stay on topic. One of my favorite lakes in Oneida County, doesn't have a size limit on Bass and bag limit is 5. The reason is that there's just too many of them. The same lake just went Catch and Release only for Walleye. I don't know why for sure, but I presume it's trying to bring back a healthy Walleye population. Back to the Bass: Bass being good table fare has a lot to do with this conversation. The wife and I love going to this lake and taking a limit of bass varying in size. 10 to 13" bass have nice slabs of meat on them (better than pan fish), so you can feed more people on a fish fry with one limit on a day of great fishing. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, they taste the same. My question is, " Why did they eliminate the size limit other than hoping fishermen would remove a lot of the smaller ones? " You can't do anything with the smaller ones except eat them! We really love them and they have become out favorite. It's also less work than cleaning 50 pan fish(we don't mind the work but it's nice not having to do it). \\\\\\\\\\\. I believe they should actually remove size limits on a lake to lake basis. It wouldn't work for every lake, but certainly helps others. If you like fish, but you don't like bass for some reason, I think you don't know how to prepare them. Good post, and interesting topic. I wish the DNR had a task force just for this topic. It goes other ways also, like Catch and Release for certain species if needed.

Post Your Comment
9/5/15 @ 8:21 PM
Fresh Air
Fresh Air
USER since 1/21/12
Been awhile since I checked this post I made some time ago. Thought I'd check in to see if anyone had any new comments to make in regards to this. I personally haven't been able to get out much this summer to fish, so I thought maybe some of you had some input. Good Fishing All!

Post Your Comment
9/2/14 @ 11:13 AM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
I find it really amusing that its been basically 2 months (with one single exception) since a post has been made that is actually ON TOPIC.

The topic has NOTHING to do with how bass taste, that's been done repeatedly over the years.

Post Your Comment
9/1/14 @ 3:49 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
LMB taste great to me. I like to fry them with Japanese bread crumbs or Shore Lunch. They fillet easily and are pretty easy to catch in most lakes. This year we went to the Minocqua chain (where they just took the size limit off on LMB) and cleaned up on 11-15" bass. We kept every one we could. No complaints from anyone about how they tasted.

I think people who want everyone to release every bass caught started the rumor that they don't taste very good.

Edited on 9/1/14 3:50 PM
Post Your Comment
8/29/14 @ 11:54 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I am not sure where some of you fish for bass especially when you say they taste so awful. I keep a few in the spring and a few in the winter and find them very good to eat. Personally I would put them just under walleye which are not very high on my list of best tasting fish. In some lakes there are scads of bass and they could use a little thinning. As a case in point, I know of no lake where they are stocked. Natural repro is quite viable in most bodies of water. I do selectively harvest the smaller fish that are just legal, as the larger fish tend to get stronger in flavor. No they are not like gills or sunfish, but still quite good as far as I am concerned. If they are properly bled out and prepared they are fine table fare.

Post Your Comment
7/12/14 @ 9:15 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
On lakes that are overpopulated we keep some bass. I let the kids keep all theirs and we eat them. I dont know what the big deal is. We enjoy eating them and its good that the kids are eating what they catch without turning up their noses. Once or twice a year we keep an 18 incher. Doesnt have the fine flavor of a walleye but its taste is no worse than crappie or white bass or bullhead.

Post Your Comment
7/12/14 @ 6:33 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I catch plenty of legal LM Bass on Lake Tichigan. I have noticed an increase in the last number of years.

It is harder to find a sheephead (Drum) on Tichigan than it is to find a LM Bass. It is hard to Crappie fish on some days, cast out a minnow and catch 6 Bass for every Crappie.

I'm not blaming the LM Bass for anything, but in the lakes that I fish I would agree that there is more than there used to be. No clue why...

Post Your Comment
7/11/14 @ 11:25 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I eat them, most lakes I fish are generally clearer water. Heck, people eat ducks and geese without knowing which open sewer they just left.

Post Your Comment
7/11/14 @ 9:13 PM
local fisherman
local fisherman
USER since 5/2/05
This is clearly a catch and keep argument vs. a catch and release argument. Wall eyes, bluegills, etc. people eat. Bass not too much. Man is the main predator interrupting nature's way to keep balance. Tons of people hear, "bluegills are on beds!" What do you know everyone goes to the lake and picks off the big males. Genetics, no big males to reproduce equals smaller fish being born. I will never tell anyone when bluegills are on beds. People want to blame bass for everything.

Post Your Comment
7/11/14 @ 7:41 PM
fishgodwi
fishgodwi
USER since 7/28/10
The pelicans on lake Winnebago love both small&large mouth bass as long as they r small enough to swallow whole..... to them its a nice treat from eating all the sheep head.......

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts