MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Sucker Run? I need to catch a white sucker

3/11/18 @ 6:19 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Hey everyone.  I've never caught a white sucker, and from what I've heard, it's easier to catch them during the sucker run.   I live in Hartford, probably equidistant between the MKE river and the Fond Du Lac River. Do they run either of these two rivers.  I've fished right by the river mouth in Fond Du Lac before and caught drum and channel cats in the summer.  Is this a decent spot for white suckers.  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I've caught a redhorse before, but are their different sucker breeds as well that run up different rivers in Wisconsin?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
5/9/18 @ 9:28 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I got one!  In the MKE river near Grafton.  I thought it was a white sucker, but apparently I caught a golden redhorse sucker.

3/17/18 @ 1:56 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Yeah I was going to say the wolf but dont know if you want to go that far. During the walleye run We used to catch them right out in the river on crawlers right in with boats trying for walleye.

3/16/18 @ 9:07 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The tributaries that flow into the Wolf are great sucker streams. 25 years ago you had to fight for spots. Now no one does it anymore. We’ll take two or three guys in these smaller streams and position two side by side in the water with muskie nets. The other guy or guys goes up stream about 100 yards and pushes them down into the nets. Pick up truck boxes full of them is usually the norm...then you get drunk and forget to clean them out of the truck leaving them to get pretty pungeant on the warmer days. Now you have a good start on an endless supply of fox and coon bait. 

3/15/18 @ 12:58 PM
gillfinder25
User since 12/17/09

Pm me! I can get you on about as manyas you can catch! Fond du lac area

3/12/18 @ 6:54 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16
Thanks for all the good ideas.  Do they run up the Menomonee or Milwaukee River in Milwaukee County?  Somewhere in Milwaukee would make for a good backdrop for a video.  Also, would I be able to catch them right now in West Bend by highway 33
3/12/18 @ 12:44 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

There's likely a ton of spots in your area but if you feel like taking a road trip, there's a good spot south of Stevens Point where Mill Creek flows into the WI River.  Look up Rusty's Backwater Saloon.  It's right next to the spot. You'll likely catch a redhorse as well.  The current can be strong if there's a lot of runoff.  We used to use washers as weights because they were cheap and flat so they held in the current better.  If I remember correctly, April was when the run happened.

3/11/18 @ 7:22 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Go to Marinette and fish the Menomonee River right after the walleye run is over in April.  They are thick in there.   

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE