MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Small Lakes and Loons

6/18/18 @ 11:38 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Visited a lake in New York last week. Maybe 100 acres. 2 loons have been on the lake for about 6 years I believe. In that span, the bass fishing has really gone downhill. Some are saying the loons are eating so many fish a day, that it's affecting the fishing. The hope seems to be that the loons will move on soon-and find a different lake once they see there aren't many fish left on this one. 

Another lake I know of, in northern Wi., has always had 2 loons as far as I know. On that lake, the bass fishing seems to be pretty consistent from one year to the next. Maybe a bit down, but not as noticeable as the lake in New York and there could be other factors in play such as harvest. (The New York lake has very limited harvest)

Have you noticed any effects from fishing where loons inhabit small to mid sized waters? (BTW-I am not saying "get rid of the loons"-just curious about the connection to fishing). 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
6/18/18 @ 4:25 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Humans build houses on shorelines often pulling up aquatic weeds, and mow down the plants right to the water line. Many motor around on the lake to catch and eat fish. A bird that happens to eat fish comes to the lake and it's the birds fault fishing's not good enough? One thing I've noticed thru the years is here on L-Link, blaming the bird is a very common human behavior.

6/18/18 @ 12:04 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Interesting comments Bugle. 

I wonder too, did they eat the 2-6 inch bass and pike babies and you saw the effects down the road? It might make sense that they left and the fishing may rebound. 

6/18/18 @ 11:46 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Funny that you mention that.  You know what lake we're on from our conversations.  The bass and pike fishing has really slowed down the past couple of years.  I went all winter without a flag.  That hasn't happened in the 15+ years we've been there.  Crappie population is getting better and larger but it's a struggle to hook bigger game fish.  We had a pair of loons on the lake for years and they left last year and have not returned this year.  I miss the calls but I bet those two were eating a lot of the game fish forage base.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE