SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Slow death hook rig

4/7/18 @ 8:38 AM
INITIAL POST
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Curious of opinions using slow death hook with bottom bouncer and night crawler.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
7/14/18 @ 10:17 AM
Jav1
User since 1/28/03

I ran three slow death and three regular Mustads up on the Bay of Green Bay. Both did well and I did not see any advantage with the slow death hook as far as numbers but I did catch the larger fish on them.  

7/7/18 @ 4:04 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Anyone else notice that the slow death hooks do not stay sharp at all? One bite and they need sharpened. Hopefully Gamakatsu will begin making a Relaxed Morbidity model or something. 

5/11/18 @ 5:26 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

Farm and fleet in beaver dam has a bunch of different brands of slow death hooks in the bargain bin.

4/24/18 @ 8:21 PM
jchunter76
jchunter76
User since 12/12/10
Thanks Brent, good to know. I've thought about trying them for awhile. This year I'll give them a shot.
4/24/18 @ 8:11 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

#2’s

They tend to run smaller than the number...

4/24/18 @ 7:43 PM
jchunter76
jchunter76
User since 12/12/10

What size hook do you guys prefer?

4/24/18 @ 2:40 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

H20.  Thanks much very helpful!    CARPIO 

4/24/18 @ 12:13 AM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08

Carpio I sent you a bunch of stuff on messenger. I rig them drop shot style most of the time. I use braided main line and tie a polimar knot to a swivel. The tag end is my dropper to my weight. This way I can use split shots for weight when its snaggy because they pull right off. I also can use a football jig and drag the bottom or SLOWLY jig it. I use a flouro leader from the swivel to my slow death hook. It's nice to be able to adjust the height and length of set up. I have more success with this than bottom bouncers.

4/22/18 @ 9:05 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I hate fishing slow. But, the endorsement of so many on here prompted me to buy a 25 pack of Mustad Ultra Point Black Pearl Super Death hooks. Might be awhile before I try them but I will give them a shot

4/21/18 @ 1:39 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I've not found them there.  I typically order them from Amazon or Fish USA

Here is a link

The one's with the bait holder hold onto the crawlers longer...

4/21/18 @ 1:14 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Plmlk. Thanks much, I’ll check out sprawl mart tomorrow for the hooks,I have everything else.    CARPIO 

4/21/18 @ 11:09 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Here you are Carpio. 

Braided line through a bullet slip sinker, followed by a swivel (the rig  will not work without a swivel as the hook spins - without a swivel your line will turn into a birds nest), followed by an 18” mono leader, followed by the slow death hook.  Then cut a crawler in half, thread head first just past the eye of the hook, and leave the rest of the crawler hang (don’t leave too much crawler hang off or the rig will not spin) 

Somebody mentioned Gulp nightcrawlers, those seem to work well, and to be honest-stay on the hook bit better.  

You may have to play with it a bit to get it down, but it is a nice tool to have in your toolbox.  

4/18/18 @ 7:16 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Plmlk. I’ve been following your posts, I know how to rig  thanks to you but have no idea what the hook actually looks like!. Can I purchase them?   Thanks much!   CARPIO 

4/16/18 @ 7:15 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

You'll be glad you did Shane - it's another tool in the tool box.  

It comes with a warning if you do a lot of river fishing though - the goats love slow death rigs too!

4/16/18 @ 8:44 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

certainly am a fan.  I use this in areas where I know fish are stacked and can get right in their face.  While overall, I believe trolling can be more effective, there are times this is better.  And the hand to fish combat is a blast. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE