Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 4:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 96 Posts
10/16/18 @ 10:01 AM
Jackal
Jackal
USER since 5/19/05

Try the bridge on Hwy I by the Waukesha County park for gar. My son was able to get them in the late spring/early summer. He said they were stacked up 20 deep. Good luck. 

Post Your Comment
9/30/18 @ 11:49 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER since 10/25/16

Caught another species - the Northern Sunfish.  I called it the Longear Sunfish in my video, but the people at roughfish.com say it's a northern sunfish.  Either way, it's a new species for me, #39

Post Your Comment
8/7/18 @ 4:11 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER since 10/25/16

Brought the kids to the Wisconsin River to fish with me (they pretty much just swam or played in the sand, which is fine), and I caught a sauger (a new species for me).

Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 8:01 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Congrats on 36/37!!,!! Wish I could help you, but you’re doing great on ur own!

Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 6:36 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
USER since 1/12/09

i saw a story from the dnr about the creek survey  from gobin hollow creek in richland county.  survey showed brown trout, brook trout, grass pickerel and mud minnow.  no idea what part of the creek, but it has pickerel.  thinking about checking it out for myself too.  

Bacon

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 4:35 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

I did not know there was a hornyhead chub.  The things l learn hanging out with you guys.....

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 3:17 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER since 10/25/16

I caught species 36 and 37 yesterday when I went to the Mukwonago River.  The White Sucker and The Hornyhead Chub.

Post Your Comment
7/23/18 @ 10:50 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
USER since 10/25/16

Caught a new species in Hustistford.  The Brown Bullhead.  I took my kids fishing, and my oldest son caught one.  I went the next morning to try to catch one of my own, and was lucky enough to get one. 

Post Your Comment
7/17/18 @ 4:45 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
On a side note if your still looking for musky swing down below the sauk dam while your in the area. Probably one of the "easier" areas to get one from shore at least.

Post Your Comment
7/17/18 @ 4:10 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Sauger is just like Walleye basically. I catch with a sinker and floating jig. Leeches/Minnows/Crawlers. They’ll hit all 3 as for live bait. Floating jig should be set at a height that works for area you are fishing. If you have a foot of weeds, then your Floater would be right above weeds. If it’s rocky and sandy, you don’t have to set it very high. You get the picture. You’re actually becoming quite the fisherman Tiefsa!!! Very interesting goal and it’s entertaining for all of us!!!! Great job again on how far you’ve come in a short time. It probably gets challenging the closer you get to 50! I have faith in you brother. 

Someone should throw in advice with artificial bait/lures. That way you have different ways to target them. I have never targeted them, but just caught them while Walleye fishing. Some people use Slip bobbers too.  Good luck Tiefsa

Edited on 7/17/18 4:16 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 96 Posts