SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Photos of fish caught

5/19/19 @ 10:59 PM
INITIAL POST
3lksmusky
User since 5/25/10

I am not trying to stir the pot, however while looking at current photos of fish recently caught I saw 6 or seven largemouth bass being held up for a photo. Doesnt the law read that bass in northern wi. are legal to catch, but must be released immediately. Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but if it is ok to hold them in a livewell for a photo later, it should be ok for a fisherman to put his caught bass in a livewell so he doesnt spook the school of fish he is on. Just curious how they can put a photo like that up. I know they were released, but don't they need to be releasd  immediately ? Maybe I am missing something. Thanks

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
6/10/19 @ 3:35 PM
3lksmusky
User since 5/25/10

Sorry if my question was confusing. I have been out of town fishing, without internet service. The gist of my question was if bass are catch and release from opening day till June something, how could photos of 6 bass being held for photos by three people?  It would seem that they must have been placed in a livewell for photos later in the day. That is upsetting, and would be illegal. Perhaps I am wrong about catch, photo, release.early in the season in the northern zone. Thanks , not trying to get anyone upset but that practice seems wrong for bass. Thanks and good fishing.

5/21/19 @ 9:06 PM
bassball
User since 7/25/07

Largemouth open may 4 across the state. Smallie catch and release. Check the regs.

5/21/19 @ 7:58 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

still waiting for 3lks to tell us what regulations he's concerned about 

5/21/19 @ 5:16 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

OMG.....I have caught so many smallmouth and largemouth bass over my 75 years. I have caught less walleye, but still quite a few.

You sir do not know what you are talking about!

5/21/19 @ 8:09 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

If a walleye's isn't bleeding,  he's fine.

If breaking smallmouth's jaws was a thing,  you'd see hundreds of thousands of smallies with broken jaws.

If you grab a walleye all the way forward,  you don't even touch the gills except with top of your finger.  I hate when people talk about something they haven't done much of.  Not trying to be a jerk,  just being straight forward.  If you can't hold up to a 10lb walleye with one finger you have bigger issues.

Muskie,  Pike, catfish,  something with some muscle,  one finger may hurt the fish more than help.  

5/21/19 @ 7:51 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

SnakeSter.....I was not referring to any regulation, only a safe way to handle a walleye for their survival. I see people holding smallmouth bass like a largemouth too. Their lower jaw does not hinge like a largemouths, so they are damaging the fishes jaw by bending it back. The best way to handle them is to cradle them under the stomach.

5/20/19 @ 8:18 PM
nihsif
nihsif

The point the guide was making was to avoid the gill rakers....

The 1 finger thing was just his way of emphasizing that

As long as your not damaging the gill rakers,  you can use as many fingers as you need to control / hold the fish

Frankly,  I thought his 1 finger method was kind of goofy.. and dicey

5/20/19 @ 7:50 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

The guide on the Gillespie show was telling the viewer's to use one finger to hold the walleyes. I don't think John Gillespie was listening,he kept sticking his whole hand in the fishes gills. Moral of the story you cannot change the world if the world doesn't want to change!

5/20/19 @ 12:25 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

With your entire hand in that walleye’s gills, it probably died after being released. One finger in the rear corner of the gill plate is the proper way to hold a walleye for releasing.

5/20/19 @ 9:36 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Have you ever taken a photo and then released the fish? It takes very little time. If a fish goes in a livewell it better be legal and kept. The rules, if you read them, are clear on that. You also seem worried that releasing a fish spooks others. Perhaps the fish thrashing around being caught did that.....letting the tired fish go?.... I kind of doubt it. Photo is of a GB eye before release.

5/20/19 @ 8:48 AM
nihsif
nihsif

would be helpful if you linked the DNR regulations you are talking about... most gamefish except musky are open season now

here's the main fishing regs page

dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/regulations/

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE