SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Panfish Limits Proposal

1/24/18 @ 2:24 PM
INITIAL POST
duxup
User since 8/5/05

Proposed change would be state wide at 10/day, and on selected lakes no more than 5 of one species (like some have it now). Possession limit 2x the daily bag limit.

I think it's time we sportspeople smarten up and start doing what's right for the resource. Don't give me the "I fish/hunt to feed my family" argument, because it does not fly when you figure in all your real costs. I also think the "I have to stock up" argument is lame. Just get out more. Unless you have a pile of kids, 20 fillets should provide most families a meal. If you have a pile of kids, you should be taking them along so you can keep more! You don't have to stop fishing, just stop keeping.

What do you think?

Duxup

Displaying 1 to 15 of 177 posts
5/20/18 @ 12:06 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07

Seems to me that most of the complaining relates to people overbagging and possession.  I too agree that a reduced limit would do nothing to prevent people from doing this.

If you see something, say something.  Why is it so hard for people to report violators?

Don't tolerate your good buddy who tell you he's been limiting out on bluegills for the last 4 days on the same body of water.  Peoples ignorance towards the matter is what gets me.  We all know a guys like this who claim its fine because his kid has a fishing license.

5/20/18 @ 9:07 AM
one1shot
User since 12/31/09

Did you win the lottery, move to wis.

5/20/18 @ 9:05 AM
one1shot
User since 12/31/09

10 is good. Stop the hogs.

5/8/18 @ 12:48 PM
CanaryGrass
User since 9/21/15

How much higher can out of state licenses go?  I'm a non-resident and I fish and hunt in Wisconsin and I pay nearly $600 per year in NR licenses for bow & gun deer season, small game, and multiple fishing stamps (trout, salmon, etc) and game tags.

That's a hefty fee to the DNR on top of the boost to the local economies from spending 20+ weekends a year in Wisconsin and frequenting hotels, bars, restaurants etc.

5/8/18 @ 4:47 AM
esoxal
User since 6/29/01

Time for this change is long overdue.

4/9/18 @ 5:10 PM
Brander j
User since 1/19/17

I know they have eggs in them but not as many females will be caught thats what i was getting at pimplyswede I think we should have spawning seasons closed for all panfish perch closed first then crappies then blugills 

4/9/18 @ 4:20 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

It is my opinion that this regulation would not be effective. I live in lake country and I see over harvest both in size and quantity by a lot of people who LIVE on the lakes. They have no fear because they are not coming out to a public launch. Some get popped when they get really greedy, by the neighbors, or people staying at a resort where they can obviously be observed. These kind of regs dont even work now, I see guys ice fishing for crappies day after day and they leave and come back. No one is there to check. It is so blatant. I can see it because I am there, but a warden cant because he isnt around all the time. I cant just go accusing people, and reporting them if I am not sure. BUT what ARE they doing out there day after day and twice a day. In the summer time you can literally see certain people go out in the morning and catch a limit, Then be back at dusk. doing the same thing. Where I live those regs have been around a long time and I see no difference. Sawyer county and on most of the big lakes where there are a lot of shore owners.

4/9/18 @ 2:36 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Panfish are growing eggs LOOOOONG before the end of February.  Perch start showing as soon as early ice because of the 3 varieties, they are the first to spawn...then crappies, then bluegills.

But the egg sacks are there long before the end of Feb.

4/9/18 @ 1:52 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

machoprogrammer is absolutely correct. Fishing for food is not very cost effective.  Hunting is even less cost effective. Purely from the standpoint of providing for your family, you would be much better off working Saturdays than fishing for a fry. But nobody ever laid on their deathbed and said to themselves, "Man, I wish I would have worked more overtime." But I bet there's some who wished they spent more time Fishing! Or having family and friends over for a fresh caught  fish fry. Many of us have a family tradition of getting together for fish frys or venison steaks and sausage.  

4/9/18 @ 1:06 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

they mismanage most stuff,  then cater to out of state folks.  I get it though,  there is an agreement with MI and MN,  due to the influx of folks along the river and over in the UP.  working in one state,  living in the other blah blah.  I don't care,  figure it out and stop worrying about the dude living in WI,  working in the twin cities.  He's rolling.  Making big MN money and live in cheaper WI. I feel so very bad for him. 

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the panfish,  but someone did bring up a valid point that surfaces now and again.  WDNR and needs to grow a set.

There is no agreement with Illinois,  no one wants to go there besides for the deer in NW, W and SW.  other than that,  If I never have to cross the boarder again I'll be a happy man.

4/9/18 @ 12:47 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
WI out of state license fees are joke....both hunting and fishing. An increase is long overdue. Out of staters are getting a sweet deal right now. It wouldn't hurt to raise the fees. But that's a whole other discussion I guess.
4/9/18 @ 12:20 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Bander J - stop thinking logically.  WI needs to raise all NR fees.  They are going to keep coming, they have no other place to go.  The illinios people aren't going to find anything reasonable there and can't hunt iowa because of a the tag system.  Wake up WI,  charge these out of state folks double what they pay now.  

Decreased tourism...the folks from Illinois have no choice.  They'll come no matter what we'd charge, its still cheaper.  Plus,  they don't have real fish to catch down there unless you like largemouth bass and catfish.  Some crappie.  It's all here,  and they'll pay.

I know a guy that drives up 6 hours,  takes his family 2 weeks up here to the winnebago chain.  Only good fishing they get all year.  He said it's mainly bass.   you could triple the fishing license and they'll pay it.  we had these conversations.  They know it,  our DNR doesn't though.  they are clueless.

I have a buddy that lives in wautoma,  those area lakes,  30% is own by illinios folk.  300-400k lake homes.  do you think they'd give a rip about paying $75 to fish or $300 to kill a deer?  Naw.

4/9/18 @ 12:10 PM
Brander j
User since 1/19/17

I under stand this thank you. I seen the prices of other states WI is really is cheap cpmpared to other states and Illinois taxes are less then ours but are higher paying jobs as well and they only have to pay for a fishing licence one time and they have it for the rest of thier lives in illions and what few are lost i honestly don't think it would hurt as far as tourism geos but again you might be right it is shaky ground but if it doesn't work for a year then put it back how it was new rules don't need to stay permanent. Thank you so much for your opion i really would to go forth with you see if we can meet in the middle on this I'm a person who is not one set minded as far as im right and no one can change my mind im not that yay at all. 

4/9/18 @ 11:39 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Those pickled/smoked fish are part of the possession limit. Unless the fish have been consumed or given away they are in your possession. It is no different than having them in your freezer. You are still technically "in control" those fish.

"The possession limit is the maximum number of fish you can control, transport, etc., at any time."

Out of state boaters typically pay a higher non-resident rate for many pay launches already. Jet skis already pay a registration fee to the state as well as a launch fee at pay launches. WI charges for entry into state parks as well and non-res pay a higher fee there as well. A lot of areas rely on tourism and raising fees is a slippery slope. At some point the revenues from increased fees will be offset by decreased tourism.

4/9/18 @ 11:00 AM
Brander j
User since 1/19/17

I think they should close panfish spawning season and close ice fishing for panfish at the end of febuary because thats when they start developing eggs. Raising out of state licenses would sure help to, and for all the boats including waver runners should also have to pay some kind of clean water or restocking fee after all they say that the water belongs to them just as well as fisherman witch is true so they should have to pay after all we as Fishermen have to buy fishing licences and trout stamps inland and great lakes if thats what your into. And out of state boat registered should have to pay a higher registrations fee as well. I guess i should specify why i think this would help so here i go the dnr could put on more wardens and thier would be more money for stocking fish more for biologist to do water samples maybe it would help cwd for deer to after all we all know water is our main source for every thing crops don't grow in sun first water starts germination just as well as we need water considering the human body is 85 or 90 percent water somthing like that.I under stand this is a panfish page but I just had to get this off my chest now I'm sure not all of us agree with all of this witch is fine but i hope that atleast agree with some of my points after all the good lord made everyone unique minded but i would sure love a polite discion on this because I would love to see what we agree on the most on what i have to say i plan on using a piece of paper and countig all comments and the highes one that gets most agreements Iwould love to take to the dnr. And also the gentelman who started this proposal I would love to worke with you on this we both care a lot on this. If we could work on this you could take it to the dnr bcause for a moment i for got what proposal ment I'm sorry for that I was thinking it was opposite meaning against. O apologize deeply

Displaying 1 to 15 of 177 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE