North lake, Wauk. Cty. Boat launch, WHATS THE HANGUP?

6/29/08 @ 3:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Flytrap
Flytrap
USER since 1/29/08
I'd say make sure you have somebody to stay with the gear while retrieving the car, or finding a different place to fish. Somehow, I just don't see waiting on the DNR as a viable option. Too much like a political campaign promise, and nobody really believes those.

Of course,you could try to interest a sportsman's organization to fund a boat ramp, but that may be as successful as waiting for the DNR.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 123 Posts
6/6/17 @ 3:33 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Hard to say if lake property owners would act illegally if people were parked in a public boat launch. I would hope not. And,  most would probably not think that way-to actually damage someone else's property. But, I think a camera up in a tree monitoring a launch if there is trouble would be the perfect solution.  

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 12:01 PM
HotPockeT
HotPockeT
USER since 3/18/11
You know when this does go in that some yahoo in a speedboat is going to hit that jetti sooner or later. lol

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 11:54 AM
HotPockeT
HotPockeT
USER since 3/18/11

Zebras have been in there for years already. Im not for or against it. It already gets alot of pressure from people launching in the river. Nice weekends its already full and I have to park my trailer at the cabin instead of the lot by the launch.  Guess it would be nice to not have to see people launching right across from the cabin all day but honestly that doesnt bother me much either.  Kinda entertaining at times.

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 11:29 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I know a lot of people want a nice, public access on this lake, but why does it need one?  

A lake that I've fished a number of times over the years in Southern Waukesha County right on the Walworth County Border, Eagle Spring Lake, used to have an "access".  It was terrible!  Super shallow, you had to go in the water to get the boat in every time.  And there wasn't hardly any parking either.  I went back another year, which was probably about 10 years ago now and the DNR built a nice launch there.  Can you guess what happened next?  Tons of pleasure boaters on a 300 acre lake that doesn't get deeper than 5' deep.  Used to have some nice bluegills in there and all the bass you'd ever want.  There's still lots of bass but the gluegills pretty much disappeared, I think the weeds and the spawning grounds disappeared.  But also what came after the pleasure boaters?  Those damn zebra mussels!  

Another lake not far from North Lake, Beaver Lake, doesn't even have a public boat launch and it has zebra mussels in the lake!  When I think about it it wouldn't surprise me if North has them already too, but the point is once there's a nice launch there'll be more pleasure boaters, and more fishermen.  I say keep it the way it is, and those who want to get to the lake will still get to the lake!  Would be nice to have a walk-in area though for ice fishing!

Just my opinions stated here, several of you will disagree, I'm sure.  But why does a small, 300ish acre lake need a public boat launch?

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 10:06 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I also received a nice follow up from Rep. Kleefisch , just wanted to mention that as well 

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 8:58 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Even if a launch is constructed, expect harassment from the property owners. They’re not going to be happy that the public now has improved access to their lake. We have two lakes within 10 miles of our place up north that do not have a public access or launch. One has a creek leading to it and a person could launch a kayak or canoe from a bridge downstream and legally access the lake. I confirmed that with the local warden but he mentioned that people who have tried it have returned to their vehicles to find key marks and slashed tires. You’ll see some top-notch douchebag behavior until the locals get used to sharing their resource.

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 7:38 AM
HotPockeT
HotPockeT
USER since 3/18/11

If these two old guys got in no problem i would think you could. lol

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 7:28 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

lots of wiggle room to drag their feet... I may yet again get to fish this lake again before I croak

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 7:17 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

got this from a different source

"Thank you for contacting us.  Kathleen retired about a year ago so her email has since been turned off.

The North Lake Management District is still pursuing the development of a public launch off Hwy 83 at the northeast side of the lake.  They secured all the permits last year from the DNR, Town and County.  They are now gathering their funding to construct it and they recently indicated they hope to begin construction in 2018.
"

Post Your Comment
6/5/17 @ 7:39 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Thanks Chemist, contacted Rep. Kleefisch ... saw your LL posts re: Silver lake.. very compelling 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 123 Posts