Mississippi river eyes

8/7/15 @ 7:03 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JimLi
JimLi
USER since 12/20/11
Thinking of going to Clements barge this fall. They told me September and October are good months for eyes. Do any of you fishermen have an opinion on the Perch and eye bite that time of year at Genoa? Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
2/3/16 @ 7:44 PM
perchkilla
perchkilla
MEMBER since 7/6/07
Good enough for me, thanks!

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 7:43 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
They're delicious smoked. That's the only way I've had them.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 7:09 PM
perchkilla
perchkilla
MEMBER since 7/6/07
I'm mostly curious of their meat - what's it best for? I like pickling and smoking fish, is it any good for that?

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 7:05 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
I've gone there in May/June for the sand (shovelnose) stugeon. Lots of fun. Once in awhile you'll tangle with a big rock/lake sturgeon and that gets really fun on walleye gear.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 6:45 PM
perchkilla
perchkilla
MEMBER since 7/6/07
If I could derail this for just a moment, I'm curious why there is no discussion of the spring sturgeon fishing (there) on Lake Link. I want to go for them in the spring, is it taboo to discuss it? I went back a couple years on the reports thread and there is no mention...

Post Your Comment
1/27/16 @ 8:19 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
Definitely hit or miss. I've had great days and others you had to be in just the right spot on the barge. There's been plenty of times that I stop by Rudy's the night I get there and the guys are talking about how great of a day they had and the next day when I go out it's really tough. Weeds can get pretty bad in the fall sometimes too and that can make things tougher. That being said, I've had fun every time I've went and have never been skunked there.

Post Your Comment
1/27/16 @ 7:41 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I second Perchkilla. Went there one late October day 2 years ago and caught zero walleyes. Only guys that got them were fishing in one tiny little spot. They basically commandeered that spot all day so I had no chance to get in and try. I ended up settling for nice bluegills just off the wall of the dam above the barge. Not what I drove 4 hours to catch, but I took what the river gave me that day. The day we went was a rising barometer so that might explain it.

Post Your Comment
1/27/16 @ 10:46 AM
perchkilla
perchkilla
MEMBER since 7/6/07
Seems to depend on the day. My son and I went one day last fall and caught plenty of fish, though only two were keeper walleyes. People caught stringers full several consecutive days prior.

Post Your Comment