SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Is Root River catch and release?

2/21/18 @ 2:18 PM
INITIAL POST
PShane60656
User since 2/20/18

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to fishing in Wisconsin. A friend and I were looking at coming up to the Root River in Racine county in March to try to catch some steelhead (and hopefully take a couple home). I am looking at the regs for trout and I'm seeing the early trout season is catch and release only on trout streams. I just want to make sure that I am understanding this properly that the Root River is a lake Michigan tributary (and not a trout stream) to the Horlick Dam, and it is exempt from the early season.

If anyone could help that'd be swell, just don't want to get a big ticket up there. 

Thanks in advance! 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
3/4/18 @ 10:23 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

1. you need a great lakes trout stamp and a WI license

2.  You can keep up to 5 trout (browns/bows)...lakers have their own regs, but ts very rare to find them running the root...I have only seen it a couple times.

3.  Size limit is 10"

2/23/18 @ 7:35 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Now wonder this sight is so slow.

2/21/18 @ 2:38 PM
CCA
User since 6/19/01

You are good to keep them to the first dam on the root, make sure you have a Lake Michigan stamp though not inland, good luck!

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE