LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

IS FLUOROCARBON LINE A GOOD CHOICE FOR CRAPPIE FISHING?

2/4/17 @ 8:43 AM
INITIAL POST
RockNBlues
User since 9/9/14

I have trouble with my 4lb mono wrapping around the end of my spinning rod. I have re-spooled making sure its wrapped right, the line weight, lure, and reel all match the rod specs. Will a fluorocarbon line help being it doesn't hold as much water as a mono? Is fluorocarbon limp enough to keep good action on a small tube jig?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
9/30/17 @ 11:48 AM
Peterskeeter
User since 2/6/11

4# "Red CAST" on spinning is about the only 4# line I like. Mostly just use 8# super line with 18" 6# floro leader. Works just fine. Spin cast 8# Red cast and same floro leader.

9/20/17 @ 2:39 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Fluro is a good choice for any fishing.  Line twist happens with any mono, copolymer or flouro.  Don't take bad advise,  they all work.  

Flouro is the clearest,  usually the smallest diameter and sinks the fastest. Use that information well.

All line WILL get twist at somepoint.  Especially light lines with light tackle.

9/19/17 @ 3:00 PM
wi river rat
User since 4/2/02

I've only used mono. 6 lb test mono is fine for panfish. I've only had your problem using four pound mono. The guy I fish with a lot uses four pound test and is always having knot and line problems. To me it's not worth the frustration for maybe getting an extra bite or two because of line choice. Unless of course you're fishing to make money or your trying to win Alone.

Besides with six pound line if you get into a big fish you have a better chance of landing it. Just my opinion. Rat.

9/19/17 @ 11:07 AM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

The limper the line the more chances for line wrap around the end of the rod.  Braid is really bad for being too limp and fouling lures and rod tips especially if it's a bit windy.

That's why I always use a mono or fluorocarbon leader with braid.

As someone else said line twist can also be an issue that you are seeing, spinners will really cause this and you could use a small barrel swivel on the end of the line and then use a leader of fluorocarbon or mono.

9/18/17 @ 9:12 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
It would really depend how & where you are fishing them. I might go fluro for a leader if I was slip bobber fishing gin clear water, but that's probably about it, but I never use live bait. I use 4lb-6lb mono for all my crappie fishing. I mostly shoot/skip deepwater docks, vertical jig or spider rig. I fish WI river flowages a lot and the water is stained. I actually prefer a higher viz line when shooting docks with 1/32-1/16 oz jigs, as the majority of strikes come on the fall and the line twitch is all that indicates a strike. I'd miss over half of the fish without being able to see my line. Nothing wrong with fluro but I wouldn't over think it, mono is just fine most of the time.
9/18/17 @ 6:46 PM
Annes Regret
User since 7/7/11
4 pound mono for gills, crapies, jiging eyes and perch. Powerpro for trolling. If you're getting line twist you're doing something wrong with all due respect.
9/18/17 @ 3:50 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

I strictly use braided line for everything with a fluorocarbon leader.

works great.  Did especially well that way jigging for bass in deeper water.

straight fluoro is a pain in the rear, if you want to use mono and like the disappearing aspect of fluoro, just use a leader

4/3/17 @ 11:32 AM
Blitzfish
Blitzfish
User since 10/1/05

I will also agree with the Nanofil as the main line. I started using it 2 years ago and haven't moved away from it. Just use a fluro leader.

4/3/17 @ 10:46 AM
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

I agree with bigmuskey......Nano is fantastic.

4/3/17 @ 10:30 AM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10

Flouro is good, but dont give up on mono just yet.

Before you get on the water "stretch" your mono. Basically you can do two things:

1) The night before fishing hook your line to a tree, or fence and walk out your mono as far as your average cast. Then pull your line slightly tight, and let it sit for a while to get the curl out of the mono.

2) On a hot day just hook yournl line to something immediately before getting on water, and walk it out, and reel yourself back in.

Both methods release that curling tendency of mono thst it gets from sitting on the spool.

2/4/17 @ 6:01 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I use two lb  floro leaders and six lb mono with a swivel in between. The reason is the floro leader is thin, nearly invisible, but tough, while the Moro is stretchy. I prefer the stretch when fishing for papermouths because it meanes less hooks torn out of their mouth during hookset. It seemed I ripped more lips using 4 lb floro exclusively 

2/4/17 @ 1:36 PM
RockNBlues
User since 9/9/14

Using a bobber isn't a problem. It's using a light jig, casting and retrieving. Its like the line wraps and sticks to the tip of the rod. I have to pull on the jig to snap the line away from sticking after each cast.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE