MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

'Ion' IceAugers or ...

10/26/17 @ 8:05 PM
INITIAL POST
FishNDude55
FishNDude55
User since 2/16/10

I'm looking to go electric this year and wondering if any of you have opinions. I like the drill type set ups but also like the new Ion units. Any honest feedback appreciated . 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 48 posts
5/1/18 @ 4:36 PM
ion x
ion x
User since 1/4/17

They are awesome. I have the new Ion x they are worth there weight in gold. I have one for sale I need the money have auger bag and battery bag for 550.00

3/2/18 @ 1:26 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Batman- Try the Milwaukee 2704-20 or 22. I’ve been using it all winter with a Clam plate and a Ion 8” and 10” bit. Works great with a 9ah battery to get roughly 60-70 holes between charges.

3/2/18 @ 8:48 AM
Batman1
User since 1/23/09

I got the Clam Plate and used the 18v DeWalt 725k as my power source. STAY AWAY FROM IT....I burned out 2 of them just 6 weeks apart. The 2 speed control switch jumps out of gear under strain and blows out the main drive unit gear immediately.  Hate to be without a power source for 6-10 weeks while waiting for repairs. The second DeWalt blew out 2 weeks later and now it too goes to the DeWalt repair shop till mid spring. Frustrated.....??

2/15/18 @ 7:10 AM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
User since 9/4/17

I have an 8" Nils with a Milwaukee fuel. A lot lighter carrying that around than an ion works great you definitely need a drill with plenty of torque. The fuel never struggles and the Nils cuts ice like its butter.

2/14/18 @ 3:20 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I'd put my money on you Kosh.  The 8" Nils and 20V Hammer Drill is a great combo.  Just need to make sure you get the largest amp battery you can find.  A few weeks ago I was using my uncle's 18v Nicad Dewalt Hammer and it tore through the ice with ease as well.

2/14/18 @ 1:27 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

That video is the same guys with the same broken drill. lol Watch the entire first video you posted with sound, he acknowledges it was broke in both videos and not a fair comparison.

Awesome your happy with your Strikemaster, that's what it is all about! Just pointing out if your going to post video and comparison be sure they are accurate...... which these are not.

2/14/18 @ 12:37 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

That was a 6” kdrill and the strike master and ion were 8” so they were drilling about 77% more ice. 

Another comparison

Ion x vs SM 40v

8” kdrill vs 8” SM40

Not trying to get in a tit for tat, just explaining my rationale for going with the Strikemaster, which I couldn’t be happier. I haven’t seen anything drill faster (definitely not the Ion X) although I fully acknowledge there certainly could be cordless drill setups that are faster. 

2/14/18 @ 11:24 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

First thing I thought when I watched that was BS, no way is that correct with the Kdrill. Then it says right in the video that the MKE drill was not working correct and it was not a fair comparison. Yet, they still ask you to like and share the video. 

Still fair between the Strike Master and Ion I would believe.

2/14/18 @ 11:07 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

Strikemaster vs Ion X vs Kdrill

My wife told me I could buy a new auger this year after watching me nearly have a coronary using my 30 year old human powered Mora last year during our annual family ice drinking extravaganza. I originally planned on going propane until I started reading about the Ion, which led me to numerous you tube videos comparing the Ion with Strikemaster 40v. I have yet to see the Ion outperform the Strikemaster in any side by side comparison. Plus it was cheaper and came with two batteries. It is the single greatest piece of outdoor hunter/gather equipment I have purchased in my opinion. I’m more of a tip up watcher than a hole hopper so the weight or battery life isn’t really an issue for me but I absolutely love it. My $0.02. 

2/14/18 @ 10:08 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Had 11 guys on our annual ice fishing trip to northern MN this past week. Two gas augers, two kdrill/MKE combos and one Ion X. After the second day the gas augers really weren't even used anymore and the Ion guy was sold on the drill combos. Not enough of a difference for him to sell his new auger to buy the drill combo, but he admitted he would have gone with the drill if he could do it over again. I bet I was getting a solid 2 holes to his one without formally 'racing'. Ion battery definitely help up longer than the 5ah batteries, but i'd imagine the 9ah would have been similar. I got ~15 holes in 30"+ of ice on average, without bringing the battery into the shack at all in 0 to -20 degree weather.

2/13/18 @ 10:20 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

Here’s the best of both worlds. Milwaukee 2704, Clam plate and an Ion 8” auger bit with quick coupler. With the 9.0 ah battery I’ve drilled 50-60 holes and just charged it Sunday because I thought I should. It was still showing 3 bars on the battery indicator.

2/13/18 @ 9:30 AM
Bret Clark
Bret Clark
User since 10/12/12

Needing to put my old StrikeMaster to rest and wanting to get away from the pains of gas I purchased the Ion X earlier this year. Wasn't sure what to expect for battery life. Wanting to make sure I was going to be happy with the electric I did a few things the instructions warned against such as, leaving the battery on the auger and, not taking it in the tent to keep warm during extremely cold days. I can say I am very happy so far with my purchase. The battery life has been great even in the cold. Because of the thickness of ice it is almost time to add the extension and the auger has not died on me yet while using the 8" auger. I drill an average of 20-25 holes per trip depending on the bite. The electric does't have the speed of a gas auger but it is not that much slower. I'll give up the speed for a gas free truck bed and the clean smell when I open my truck topper. Not to mention when I pull the trigger I'm drilling. No warm up or messing around keeping my auger running in the cold. Very happy with my purchase.

1/20/18 @ 10:17 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
User since 9/4/17

Thatbassguy. Saw a post about the Milwaukee mud mixer on ice shanty. The guy had to fabricate a special adapter to use his auger with the mixer. He liked it a lot because the drill itself has a gearbox unlike a cordless drill. Lots of torque too. I myself use a Milwaukee drill with an 8" nils. The auger is great but the drill struggles. I really need to get the fuel. I borrowed a buddies fuel the other day to test it on the ice and there is NO COMPARISON. The fuel is no joke. Next ice related purchase for sure. The drill I use now gets it's ass kicked at work (plumbing) everyday, ice fishing is it's side job :)

1/20/18 @ 8:06 PM
Hodag1
User since 6/27/09

Pulling the trigger on the Ion was the best decision i made in my life.  Bought mine first ice 2016 and very happy.  Can’t stand the gas augers anymore.  Can’t go wrong with lithium.  I also have a lithium chain saw and weed wackier....only way to go.

12/14/17 @ 3:20 AM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

I just got the new Strikemaster and I love it. Switched from propane. For less money than the ion it came with two batteries. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 48 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE