'Ion' IceAugers or ...

10/26/17 @ 7:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
FishNDude55
FishNDude55
USER since 2/16/10

I'm looking to go electric this year and wondering if any of you have opinions. I like the drill type set ups but also like the new Ion units. Any honest feedback appreciated . 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts
12/14/17 @ 2:20 AM
LeviM
LeviM
MEMBER since 2/25/12

I just got the new Strikemaster and I love it. Switched from propane. For less money than the ion it came with two batteries. 

Post Your Comment
11/25/17 @ 9:56 AM
thatbassguy
thatbassguy
USER since 1/20/09

Milwaukee mud mixer

Has anyone tried this?  I just saw it at home Depot and thought it would be a great option.  Of course, most people would not have another use for this type of drill.  Still, might be a good option for anyone who already uses Milwaukee tools and wants to save their regular drill from the abuse

Post Your Comment
11/19/17 @ 6:28 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
USER since 9/4/17

I use an 8” nils with a Milwaukee drill. Works great. The only issue I’ve had is the battery can lose power if it’s too cold, but I’m talking below zero conditions. I’ve gone out with friends who have gas augers. I’ll tell them to leave them in the car because they’ll never need it. They will bring it out anyways and like I said, never use it. I couldn’t be happier with the nils, as far as the ion I’ve never seen or used one but if you already have a cordless drill I’d look into a nils or kdrill

Post Your Comment
11/11/17 @ 1:18 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

If you go electric and have a use for a good drill that might be something to consider.  If you are the type who swiss cheeses the ice every time you are out then this might not be ideal.  Basically what I'm saying is that if you get a decent bit like a lazer, nils, or k-drill and pair it up with a brushless drill that kicks out a minimum of around 600 square inches of torque...voila...you have something you can use in the summer as well. With an ION you have a tool you will only use on the ice.  It's a nice auger but you could easily piece together a drill set up for less than what the MSRP is on an ION.  

If you simply want to reduce your weight and fuel is still an option take a look at the F1 or P1 Rocket that Eskimo introduced. An 8 inch F1 weighs the same as an ION. 

Post Your Comment
11/10/17 @ 1:07 PM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

The start-up time is something I didn't take into account. You could be one hole in by the time some of the gas augers start up. I can't say I ever ran the Ion side by side another auger to "race" them, but it seemed like my buddies strikemaster and jiffys would cut through an extra hole or two when we would both be popping holes. Maybe the extra weight of the gas augers causes them to chip away more ice with each revolution? Either way the difference isn't anything worth making a decision over.

I would agree about the ice on the flights possibly being related to the type of ice. I never had an issue with it on 90% of the lakes I fished in NW wisconsin but for whatever reason, out on the bay whitefish fishing I couldn't keep the ice off the flights. That is also when the blades iced up on me the worst. The ice never seems to be consistent on the bay or the black, dense ice you get on inland lakes so maybe that played into it.

I have yet to meet someone who bought an Ion and said they regretted it!

Post Your Comment
11/10/17 @ 12:13 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Appreciate the honest feedback below. I'm surprised you felt it's a lot slower than other augers, but I can't deny your own experience. I've found them almost as fast. Sure start up quicker and one can be halfway through the first hole by the time a gas auger starts. And, I bet the new ION batteries are even stronger. Not sure if that affects speed or just longevity though. 

Someone mentioned somewhere...ice on the fins. It certainly will happen in certain situations. Just something to stay on top of and brush or kick the slush off before it freezes. It seems to only do this in certain types of snow/slush. But, yeah, if not taken care of, the auger can be double the weight and there's not much that can be about it on the ice itself. 

All in all, a great auger and almost everyone that owns one is very happy, both on Lake Link and even if you look on the regular national reviews. It does what it says it will do which is something a customer always appreciates. 

Post Your Comment
11/10/17 @ 8:44 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

I got to use my dad's Ion X all of last winter after he threw out his back. There's no denying that it is an awesome auger, top of the line in it's class though I think the new strikemaster will compete this year. But it still comes down to what you want and what kind of fisherman you are. For me, I pack light and tend to jump around with my sled more than set up and camp out. For that reason, i went with the kdrill/MKE combo this year. Haven't used it yet (fingers crossed for tomorrow) but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

The Ion X is just as bulky as a gas/propane auger but at half the weight it is definitely easier to lug around when popping holes. It is quite a bit slower than just about every other auger. Other than that, really no complaints. The bit would ice up quite a bit, but that was a flaw in the manufacturing and they should all be replaced this year.

Post Your Comment
11/9/17 @ 9:28 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

The Quasarmelt with hover and remote is the way to go man. You just can't rely on those satellite hole melting services anymore. During busy ice fishing times you can order a series of holes and wait like 10 minutes before fishing them. They always seem a little off the GPS numbers you wanted anyway. With the Quasarment you just tap points on your smart phone Navionics app and the machine hovers to work. Gets your next hole melted before you can even walk over there. Sweet.  

Edited on 11/9/17 9:29 PM
Post Your Comment
11/9/17 @ 12:26 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

Cool. Back in the day, when we had to wait for drones to bring stuff from Amazon, delivery was GLACIAL slow

Post Your Comment
11/9/17 @ 10:26 AM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

Available via direct beam to your location. 

All in fun, I forgot to mention the hover and remote control options. Still uses the standard old-school 2015 Mr. Fusion power source. Delivers 2.21 gigawatts of continuous electrical power to your laser intensifier capacitor.

Edited on 11/9/17 10:30 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts