SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Hub, Flip Over?! Newbie needing help

12/9/18 @ 6:54 AM
INITIAL POST
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12

So I'm not new to fishing, but more so "inexperienced" when it comes to ice fishing. I fish open water dozens of times a year, but have always been a little shy of the ice, and usually partook in other winter activities. I have begun to get more into ice fishing over the past couple years and want to get something to shield me from the elements when ice fishing. 

I will be primarily fishing the Winnebago system, and want to know the best option for a shelter. Hub? Flip Over? I plan on going where the fish are, so this can mean moving often, but also don't have a snowmobile or ATV to pull a flip over with.

I feel like the flip over of the easiest option for moving around, but heaviest option being on foot. 

Am I better off with throwing a hub in a sled with my other gear and auger and moving about lightweight? I will mostly be fishing solo this year, but in the coming year my oldest son who will be 4 next winter will be able to come along.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
2/18/19 @ 11:59 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Yes, flip overs are more mobile in that all you need to do is fold it over and away you go, but hubs really aren't that immobile. Once you get proficient at it, you can have it up in under a minute. Obviously more challenging conditions may add to that (e.g. windy), but you can be all set up over a new spot in well under five minutes regardless. Exponentially lighter too, so that may factor in. 

2/14/19 @ 1:48 PM
lotsofish
User since 1/23/04

I have an older otter and the thing is heavy for just one person to pull when I go out myself.  I am looking for a lighter 2 man flip over and have no idea what one to get so looking for input.  (clam, eskimo, otter, frabill???)

I like to be more portable so not sure i want to get a hub.

Thanks!

12/26/18 @ 10:01 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

the 58x58 could work for two, but you better like the person you're fishing with lol. I have the Eskimo "three" man and it's definitely a two man with gear. Three is possible, but it is definitely going to be tight. With hubs being as light as they are, there's really no reason not to go a bit bigger than necessary. 

12/26/18 @ 8:26 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Yeah the floor of any hub (except the new clams) will be the snow or ice unless you put something down yourself (foam squares).

58"x58" would be fine to fish 2 guys out of, leaving gear outside. I'd imagine only 1 hole a person and it would be tight, but definitely manageable. For comparison, I used to use the Clam Nanook which has 21 square feet of fishable room and we could fish 2 guys with 2 holes a piece off-setting and pretty much shoulder to shoulder. The hub your referring to has roughly 25 square feet but that doesn't factor in your chair/sitting room. Will you be sitting on buckets or big camping chairs? It all depends on how comfortable you want to be on the ice. When in doubt, go bigger. There are some decent 3-4 man hubs for not much more than that 2 person...

12/25/18 @ 10:54 PM
Sportdog
User since 10/21/11

Not trying to steal the thread but I just saw a Lakes N River 2 person shelter  Model #: B1585 with these specs...   Super-tough 300 denier shell makes you feel warm in the wild
4 frigostabile PVC windows for great visibility
6 heavy duty ice anchors and reinforced tie downs secure shelter in windy conditions
Easy-grab pull handles on all side of hub for quick set-up and take down
Handy ice anchor storage bag (included) keeps anchors organized and secure
Controlled ventilation with vents located on two sides of the shelter
Reinforced corners for durability
Large entrance doorway for easy entry
Oversized skirt for ample snow banking
Set up - 58 in x 58 in
Hub to hub - 76 in x 76 in
Height - 67 in
Weight: Approximately: 19.8 pounds
Shipping Dimensions: Approximately 43.3 x 7.87 x 7.87 inches.

So is this even worth a look and will it really fit 2 people 58 X 58 sounds like a real squeeze to me. I'm new to the new shelters am I right in thinking the floor of this shelter is the ice on the lake?

12/21/18 @ 9:39 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I agree with Ulbian, I have an Eskimo hub 3 man and it’s perfect for 2 people and gear. I would like to have a flip over though!

12/21/18 @ 7:36 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Walleyeguy....

You might find yourself regretting going with something a bit smaller in the future. Your four year old isn’t going to stay four. The kid will grow and as he grows you’ll need more room. 

As a general rule I tell people that what is advertised as a “2 person” hub is actually a one person. A “3” is actually a 2. I’ll fit three people in mine but fishing three out of it was a wee bit cramped. There are times when fishing alone I wished I had one much bigger, especially when running multiple rods, a camera, and a flasher. They feel much bigger than they are....until you get your gear set up inside the thing. 

12/21/18 @ 10:11 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I doubt a 4 year old will be able to help much loading or unloading stuff out of the truck, so keep it simple and lightweight. Hubs are roomy and light weight but a chore to tie down and erect. One guy I fished with broke one of the arms of his hub setting it up on a windy day. Flip overs are easy to anchor and move as mentioned earlier, but make sure you can get it in and out of your vehicle easily because some of the new units weigh a lot. I own a mid sized flip over that has enough room for a kid on a bucket on one end while I sit in my folding chair on the other. I left out the seat because it reduced weight and my buddies smaller flip over slides inside mine so both fit nicely in the back of the truck. Keep it fun for the kids and they'll be hooked on fishing for life.

12/21/18 @ 9:08 AM
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12

bought a shappell 6500 yesterday, got home set up and returned it, way too big for what i need.

ordered a eskimo quickfish 3i. good enough size for me and my kid

12/11/18 @ 1:14 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

This is why I have four ice shanties, lol! Two flipovers, a "suit case" style that folds in half and takes about two minutes to setup and new to my collection last year is a hub, which will be great for when my kids go with me and we are sitting in one spot!

I use my small flioover more for a sled than anything. If it gets a little windy I have a wind break which makes it more comfortable. I also have a 1.5 man flipover which is heavy and doesn't tow well that I'll use if there's very little snow or I am pulling it with my snowmobile (also driving out but on the Madison chain cars aren't allowed). It's super comfortable to fish out of and it's black so it heats up real nice!

Last the new hub shack, a Eskimo 9i. It's pretty big, pretty heavy but pretty easy to setup. Anchor it down and pull the hubs out. I can get that real warm and cozy for my kids so I love it for that but otherwise I dont use it.

So my opinion on what's the best shelter? Depends on what it'll be used for! I do a lot of ice fishing, just about every weekend and I love all four of mine that I've collected over the last 20 years! I don't plan on getting rid of any of them, and I could send a whole army out with all the equipment I have! Fishing Winnebago where you can drive out her the most comfortable shanty you can afford and fit into your vehicle! You won't regret it.

12/10/18 @ 9:52 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

For what you explained a flip is the obvious choice but having both is nice. I’ll bring a flip and a hub along even when I’m on my own. I’ll be mobile with the flip until I lock into something and then the hub goes up and I’ll fish out of that. If the fish move I can still be mobile and I’ll leave the hub set up and run and gun with the flip. 

If I were you I wouldn’t limit myself to just those two traditional options though. I’d be taking a long hard look at a Shappell Bay Runner. Hubs are great for the room but unless you bring something along to stand on they can get pretty slick inside especially for a young kid. 

I have two Clam hubs. One is 10 years old and one is 2 years old. The older one was better built than the newer one. I use the newer one less and I expect that one to wear out before the one that has been used a ton. 

12/10/18 @ 7:42 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Set up my new eskimo hub 949i today on the lake I live on. Used the hand bolt screws that came with it and they went right in the ice without predrilling. Anchored 6 total. Roomy and very nice to fish out of. Caught 10 crappies in a couple hours. I really think it will take a hell of a wind to bring it down. I live right here on the lake so I can check on it all the time. We'll see. Its going to stay there until we get a forecast that shows a big wind event. Talked to some neighbors to keep an eye on it as I live on the lake but around the corner so I can't see it. Seems like I live in a good area just hope the dirtbags don't ice fish.

12/10/18 @ 4:37 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

If you fish solo a lot or like to explore definitely flip over.  I like to explore and being able to leave and set up quickly is important for me.  The flip over adds zero time to mobility.  Flip it over and pull it to next spot.  Also doubles as sled for gear.  

12/10/18 @ 9:55 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Biggest thing to consider if you haven't already is what you drive to and from fishing. Pick up? Then both are on the table. Car? You're likely relegated to a hub, or at most a one man if you have the trunk space. SUV? Depends on the size of vehicle and the sled. 

I fish Winnebago and move fairly often and I have a hub. Is it kind of a pain? Yes, although calm days are a breeze (see what I did there lol?). But is it totally manageable? Absolutely.  

12/9/18 @ 5:08 PM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

Walleye Guy, 

Some things to consider...

It all comes to personal preference and style of fishing.  If you have a large group of fishermen you are trying to accommodate or are fishing with mostly tip-ups and anticipate being in more of a stationary position, the hub style might be best for you.

If you think that you want to be more mobile, or have a lower quantity of fishermen that would be going on your outings, a flip over would be a good choice.  There are many good styles out there and companies seem to make improvements each year.  

If transporting either style becomes cumbersome in deep snow, consider looking into building a "Smitty sled" to assist you (See you tube).  We made one last year for under $15 and it totally worked to help with dragging through deep snow.

If money is an issue, Craigslist might be a good place to start.

Good Luck, 

Gill

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE