SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Fishing guide??

9/1/18 @ 6:07 PM
INITIAL POST
dlpittenger
User since 10/28/05

Hi all. I found guide for my son and I to take a fishing trip for his 40th birthday. It was scheduled for this coming Saturday Sept. 8th but he cancelled on me today.

Does anyone else know of a reputable guide?

It's for 2 men. Some fishing experience but wanting to learn! 
Would like to learn to bass fish, but other species OK.
Would prefer one of the lake country lakes, (Pewaukee, Nagawicka, etc).
Next Saturday Sept. 8th if possible. The next date would be Oct. 13th.

Thank you,

Dan

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
2/4/19 @ 7:43 PM
Capt. Jarrid Houston
Capt. Jarrid Houston
User since 5/24/16

Give us a call.  We are in the Duluth superior region, twin ports. Capt. JH

1/31/19 @ 6:24 PM
Brew City Charters
Brew City Charters
User since 3/24/08

blue ribbon charters wonderful full great lakes charter captain no go with the rest if they are not insured

10/26/18 @ 1:16 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

So, I've run into him a few times in the Door.  Never hired him, so keep that in mind.

I had him quote me a smallie trip around Washington Island.  He wanted $800 for a day.  I thought it was waaaayyyy too expensive.  Told him so...then the price was lowered a couple hundred bucks, but it was still too much to make me hire him.

I've run into him around the area time and again.  I think he is a good guy.  Pleasant.  Never have I had an issue with him.

That being said, he's a true promoter of his guide service.  I think there are a lot of guys up there that catch as many fish, and maybe more, but Lonney really promotes his stuff nicely.  And to be fair, his ice stuff is maintained really well.

If you are ever looking for other guides up there, go check out Howie's and ask them who is on a good bite.  I've been referred to a couple really good and affordable guys that way.

Howies

10/25/18 @ 10:13 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Anybody have an opinion on Lonny Gorman? Got a trip lined up for smallies but hearing conflicting reports on him as a guide and personality. 

10/25/18 @ 10:18 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I guess I'd say with that guy...it's odd to not hear about issues.

Heck, I bought a cottage in Door County.  Same stories are told about him up there as they are around Milwaukee.  They all start the same way...."I used to be friends with Eric, then......"  Everyone used to be friends with him.  That's how it goes.

10/20/18 @ 5:05 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

It's odd to see these issues with him. I've never had them and have had great experiences. He can be a bit overbearing sometimes and his attempt at coaching is a bit rough around the edges. By all means I'm not saying I don't think anyone could have issues with him, I just haven't seen it. I was warned that he is very particular about things prior to meeting him so maybe that helped with my expectations. He's a bit cocky but he does know his stuff. I learned quite a bit from him.

10/20/18 @ 8:24 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Never met the guy, but took these pictures at Green Bay Cabela's store.

10/19/18 @ 9:42 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm glad Haataja's true colors are becoming known to more people. How arrogant do you have to be to make a line of rods named after yourself.

He sure has perfected the camera angle though. Makes sense with how many pictures he takes of himself.

10/19/18 @ 9:22 AM
dlpittenger
User since 10/28/05

Amaranthlost - No backup, just sorry I'm cancelling. That  was the end. I had to scramble to find someone else. Fortunately I found Jim Obrien from Dancing with Walleyes. He was flexible, honest with me, a good communicator, nice and respectful on the water, worked hard. We didn't catch any fish though!!!! It was Oct. 13th on Nagawicka. Bad weather, but we expected to catch something at least. I guess that's why they call it "fishing" and not "getting". Kinda disappointing, but Jim said he would make it up to us in the spring, so we'll see. All things considered, I would rather fish with someone like Jim, than fish with someone who doesn't care.

9/17/18 @ 8:31 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Consider yourself fortunate that he cancelled!

If you want to see what you missed...from the clients perspective.

A Day on the Water with Haataja

9/16/18 @ 1:33 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Did he offer a backup? He canceled on a friend and I once but set us up with a good friend of his that helped when he had larger groups. I've been out with him a half dozen times and he has always been good to us, even staying out later than we paid when the fishing was poor to make sure we caught fish.

9/16/18 @ 8:29 AM
dlpittenger
User since 10/28/05

Vegas, thanks. I found another guide rather quickly, and he recommended a date in October for better bass fishing, so we’ll give that a go.  

I’m sure there must have been a good reason for cancelling, but it was irritating just the same. I suggested another date in October, but he couldn’t make that work either so I had to go elsewhere. It was Eric Haataja. He may be a great guide, I don’t know.

I will check with your recommendation in the future.

Thanks!

Dan

9/16/18 @ 8:20 AM
dlpittenger
User since 10/28/05

Thanks Mr. Seaguar.... you’re right.

9/4/18 @ 2:42 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Don't be too mad at the guy who canceled, that's probably the best thing he could have done. 

9/4/18 @ 12:43 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I have access to Pewaukee and know the area well.  You are looking for a multi species guide for that area.  Best one I know is Chris Terry.  Here is his website....I'm unsure if he is still in the area, but give him a call.  If he cannot get you out, he will find someone good who will.  

I see that Schanks is on the website...I wouldn't recommend him to you.  Too many stories out there...  But Chris is one great guy and fisherman.

Who is it that cancelled on you?

Catch Fish with Chris

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE