"First dam" Clarification

2/22/16 @ 1:04 PM
ORIGINAL POST
onefinalcast
onefinalcast
USER since 5/8/13
Hey all, I have been going over some of the regulations and have come across the phrase "upstream to the first dam or highway bridge" a few times. This point is a bit confusing for me because I am not sure what they mean by this. For example, if I am fishing a river (Wisconsin River) and there are three dams along it in my county, which one is considered the first? Is it the furthest one upstream (before entering a different county), or does "first dam upstream" refer to the dam relative to where I am fishing? If I am fishing past the third dam, does this make the third dam, which is the "first" dam upstream of me, the first dam? So the regulations only affect up to that dam? Or does it not matter where I am along the river and the regulations are in effect for the entire stretch of the river up to the very first one upstream? P.S. I spoke to a DNR representative, however they were not very convincing or seemed entirely sure with their answer, which is why I figured this might be a good place to get some insight. Thanks in advance!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
2/25/16 @ 10:10 AM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
Sorry if my post was misleading - other posts were saying "applies to tributaries of WI river" or "applies to great lakes...."

The link I provided shows that there are far more waters open year-round than just those listed in the previous posts.

As far as "first dam" or "first bridge" - they are speaking of the first one you come to as you go upstream. Not the first one at the headwaters of that river.

Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 7:26 AM
pool 9 cathunter
pool 9 cathunter
USER since 9/23/14
Wisconsin River (including all sloughs, bayous, and flowages upstream to the first dam or highway bridge):

This is what it says in the regulation booklet. Maybe it is changing this year but I follow what is in the booklet unless posted at access points.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 9:46 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
Looks like quite a few people should read the Regs pamphlet again.

This page sorts it out quite nicely:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/seasons/yearnd.html

This forum is an awesome tool to get useful information about gear and tactics, but one of the worst places you can ask about laws. 50 different people will provide you with 50 different OPINIONS (not facts), and one person will have actually read the regs. Up to you to figure out who that person is.

Best to call the warden if the regs pamphlet is confusing.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:48 PM
onefinalcast
onefinalcast
USER since 5/8/13
Hey guys, thanks for the clarification. It all makes sense now with no confusion at all. I guess I never thought to look at it that way and the book didn't exactly do a great job at explaining that but thanks to you guys it's clear now. Cheers fellow WI fishermen!

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 5:14 PM
theimer
theimer
USER since 12/11/05
the part where it says for tributaries, flowages, bayous, and ect, ect up to the first dam or highway bridge? that's for the branches and rivers that flow in to the main river or lake.

if they have different regulations for the main river or body of water. then they usually give you the city where the dam or land marker and then if the regulations for up stream or down stream or some have compass direction ( north, south, east, and west) of the land marker.

ex:The daily bag limit on catfish is 10. The season for catfish is open all year except from the Prairie du Sac Dam downstream to the railroad bridge at Sauk City where the open season is May 3 through November 30. From the Wisconsin Dells Dam upstream, only one northern pike may be kept and it must be at least 32". Upstream from the Prairie du Sac Dam, walleye and sauger from 15" but less than 20" and only one over 28" may be kept. Below the Prairie du Sac Dam, walleye must be at least 18" and sauger or hybrids must be at least 15"and the daily bag limit is 3 in total.

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 2:55 PM
pool 9 cathunter
pool 9 cathunter
USER since 9/23/14
Like fltndr said it refers to tributary rivers of the WI River. For example the Kickapoo River flows into the lower WI River. Up to the first bridge which is Hwy 60 the regulations are the same as the WI River. Upstream of the hwy the regulations change to the general inland regulations. If there was a dam before that bridge the regs would change there. It has nothing to do with the dams on the WI River itself only tributary rivers of the WI River.

In the future you'll probably get better regulation advice by contacting a game warden in the area you plan to fish then anywhere else. Hope this helps.

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 2:51 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I thought that "first dam" typically applied to tributaries of the Great Lakes. De Pere Dam, Shoto Dam, Mishicot Dam, Dam at the egg collection station by Bruemer Park. I didn't know that it was referred to in inland waterways. I agree that would make things very confusing.

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 1:43 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
I was referring to a river flowing into another river.

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 1:25 PM
onefinalcast
onefinalcast
USER since 5/8/13
fltlndr, are you referring to a river flowing into a lake?

If so that makes sense, however I'm strictly referring to just a river system (or a stretch of it). It is open year round for fishing, however there are certain regulations that are in effect "upstream to the first dam or highway bridge". So my question is which stretch of the river the regulations are in effect for. I want to assume that it is in effect for the whole river upstream to the very first dam, regardless of how many dams there are.

Post Your Comment
2/22/16 @ 1:17 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
I believe what they are referring to is if a river flows into it it is open up to the first hwy bridge or dam for fishing.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts