SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Early Ice

11/14/18 @ 7:17 AM
INITIAL POST
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

All you Ice fishermen! Let's use our heads this year!Early ice IS Dangerous! Please NO tragedies this season! Saftey  first the fish will wait for you! Grandad!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
12/19/19 @ 11:55 PM
Vsberg
User since 12/19/19

2nd time out this ice season in Southern Wisconsin. Second round of First ice for us! Pretty thin but solid ice that froze at one time. Always use the spud this early.  Check out our video        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUJM27gBr1I&feature=share

11/25/18 @ 9:56 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Had 7" of ice in a slough off the Peshtigo river this weekend. Ever spud your way through 7" of ice? It is miserable. That's the last time I'll under-pack for a trip lol.

11/25/18 @ 9:29 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Our pond opened up over night. It is 8’ deep, so I wouldn’t walk on any ice in southern Wisconsin.

11/25/18 @ 8:13 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

JB.  Excellent point! Maybe that’s why I say fishing is crappy first ice. I’m always fishing shallow but that’s because of thin ice.    CARPIO 

11/25/18 @ 12:05 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I'm sure most people will disagree with this, but I fish deeper at first ice. There's fish out deep, and fish shallow. They aren't all in one area or depth. But I have found the deeper fish are less spooky than the shallow fish at first ice. So it is easier for me to catch them. I will usually have one tip up shallow per person,  tho, just to cover all the bases. If you have tip ups shallow, very important to be a couple hundred feet away, especially if it's a group making noise

11/24/18 @ 9:22 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

It is interesting how tough it can be early ice. Hard to catch pike for  me at least. But nice to be out. 

11/21/18 @ 1:15 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Bugle.  Fishing is usually P—- poor the first week of ice.   CARPIO 

11/21/18 @ 12:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I was able to get out on the ice for a few hours on Monday afternoon in Oneida County.  No flags but it was good to be out.  I had 5 inches near shore and 4 further out.  

11/18/18 @ 5:54 PM
Big-Fish-R
User since 4/9/08

Saw single fisherman out Sat. And today.  Would love to go out, but not sure how safe it is yet.

11/14/18 @ 4:16 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

Just saw the first 2 ice fisherman of the season out an hour ago.  Vexilars out and jigging for panfish, etc.

11/14/18 @ 8:13 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The last time we were able to fish walleyes at night where we stay for deer camp, we had an extension ladder with us and walked between the rungs.  That way if we went through, it would be something to grab onto.  We couldn't have more than one person standing by a hole or water would flow up through it.  Good times.  Caught lots of walleye and had WI Surf 'N Turf with some venny tenderloins.  Hoping we get that this year!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE