SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Best fish locator for the money

7/28/17 @ 8:45 AM
INITIAL POST
meluvtogolf2
User since 1/20/09

Just wondering suggestions for a good quality fish locator to buy which is worth the money and works excellent. I fish mostly Lake Winnebago. With GPS too.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
1/20/18 @ 11:24 PM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

Si 

1/20/18 @ 11:22 PM
LeviM
LeviM

2d & di

1/20/18 @ 6:04 PM
LeviM
LeviM

I run a 9” helix for mapping and a 12” gen 2 mega si for everything else. I’d never go back to something without the mega imagery. I’ll post a couple pictures for detail purposes. Feel free to pm if you have any questions 

1/10/18 @ 4:31 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

I have a Helix 7 CHIRP and 10 DI/SI on the dash and a Helix 7 DI on the bow.

Not the best pic, but it's of a Loon that was chasing/diving my musky bait while trolling. DI on the left, SI on the right.

Still playing with the settings, but so far I really like it.

1/9/18 @ 6:35 PM
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08

I was leaning toward the Hummingbird Helex 7 with down imaging and GPS with G2.  Now I am considering the Helex 5 with down imaging and Side imaging with GPS and G2 for the same money as the 7 inch model.  Seeing that both are a step up from my Lowrance 522 c with less than a 4 inch screen.   Is there a ostium depth for side imaging?  I normally fish from 5 to 25 feet of water.  Lund  

1/8/18 @ 10:13 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Lund , down you can see more detail.  you will see if it's a tree sticking up, on sonar it could appear as fish stacked.  with the down the image is better, you'd see it was a log and sticks.  

Side imaging is to the side,  much harder to read if you don't mess with it but you can locate weeds,  bigger rocks,  structure more easily without riding over the top of it.  I fish shallower lakes,  so side imaging is much more useful for me.  I can set it to 60 ft and run a shoreline.  I've located fish with it,  but it took me many times to realize what it what.  you catch fish in a spot,  then scan it,  you'll know.  it takes time...most don't have that type of time.  

I use SI more to find the structure that "may" hold fish rather than using it to find the fish themselves.  Personally,  I think down scan imaging is a waste of money,  I know guys with it,  they think the same.  Everyone will have a different opinion though.

Also what the manufacture doesn't tell you is that you should really run your SI off just one side WO the prop wash if you want the best detail.  also that it should be run to 30ft.  once you start doing 90ft or more it's just so hard to see anything.  then again,  i'm a novice at it.  i catch fish now, i caught fish wo out it just fine.  it has helped me most by way of marking waypoints off structure i see.  then going back and fishing it.

1/7/18 @ 6:18 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

lots if you Google... diff is transducer and detail

Sample : www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/Down-Imaging/

1/7/18 @ 11:34 AM
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08

Can someone explain how "down imaging" is different from regular sonar? 

Does side imaging work from backing into say a weed bed or a bog or is only to the side?  Lund  

1/4/18 @ 6:00 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I've always been a Lowrance guy, but last year I put a Garmin 93sv on my boat.  It's a nice unit.  It's a prelawsuit model with the good transducer.  They won the lawsuit but I'm not sure if they went back to the same transducer yet.

1/4/18 @ 3:49 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I like the bigger screen.  I have a lowrance HDS10 and Humminbird 999 (7 inch screen).   Personally I like my Lowrance better (I had a HDS 7,  replaced it with the bird 999)...neither have i had issues with so CS has never been called.  HDS7 is on my snowmobile now.

If I were to recommend a unit...I can't.  I'd just say find one that has a GPS,  one you can buy maps for and that's about it. One that is in your budget. 

I say buy the biggest screen you can afford.  I came from a 5...I couldn't go back.  I like running split screen and a 5 is pretty lame for that.  I like to run the GPS screen with contours and 2D depth.  I think brand is irrelevant.  

Personally I think side scan you won't get the money out of.  Frustration,  yes.  I personally don't think it's worth it,  but I know many others love it.  I catch fish,  I don't need that side scan to catch a limit of walleyes.  I don't need it to find a transition for perch.  To each his own,  but SS was a waste for me in hindsight.

Regardless of brand,  many come base us maps.  Don't be fooled,  they are junk.  if you want lake maps that are pretty accurate within 20 ft...you'll need to purchase navionics or lakemaster.  

1/4/18 @ 10:46 AM
Landin' Lunkers
User since 6/4/12

Helix 7 and nav chip on amazon. I paid 580 for both. Don' spend 199 on a Wisconsin chip, at most 130

1/3/18 @ 7:33 PM
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08

I too am looking for a new locator to replace my 522 c   the terms are confusing.  Ar'nt  all locators down imaging?  Is side imaging worth the money?  Need one with GPS for sure.  This is for open water.  Lund

7/28/17 @ 1:49 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Glad you had good service with bird. I had the exact opposite.

7/28/17 @ 12:22 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

How much do you want to spend? I bought a garmin 93sv. I've owned Lowrance and birds. Garmin by far is the easiest unit to run and the maps are in my opinion far better than lakemaster. Go to a store and play with them. You will see what I mean.

7/28/17 @ 9:08 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I put a Hummingbird Helix 7 with a Navionics chip in it on my boat last fall. Fished Winnebago and up north a few times and it was everything I hoped for and more. I did get the unit with down imaging. Will need to play with that some to better understand it. In the little I used it on Bago I would run split screen with sonar and the map chip side by side. It was quite accurate. Anxious to use it again and learn more. Recovering from shoulder replacement surgery so no boat in the water for me till fall at the best. The Hummingbird unit was $450 and the Navionics chip $199. Covered most of the cost with Sheels gift cards as rewards from a Sheels credit card.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE