SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Deep Perch

8/27/18 @ 12:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Pete Moss
User since 5/3/12

I was told a certain lake in Northern Wisconsin holds some nice perch, but I have fished it several times with very little success. I did get a couple, so I know they are there and deep. (around 20 feet). The question is how would you fish them. I have tried Slips with a minnow, and worm chunks dead sticking. Any advice? Thanks,

Pete

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
1/26/19 @ 3:41 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

I use pinkie on the bottom, then a bell sinker or flasher, up about four inches and another pinkie up four more inches. Use waxies until you catch a small one, then use it for cut bait. I have caught literally hundreds, with this method, out west in the reservoirs, at depths from 30 to 65 feet. Try to keep the bottom bait about 1-2 inches off bottom. That is where they prefer to be, but sometimes you get a double when there is a big school. That is where the sinker comes in because you now exactly where the bottom is. Its easy ice fishing or a boat with no wind.Dont expect to release any from those depths, 20 might be okay they usually blow out their swim bladder over 30 feet deep. Best day ice fishing I got 88 myself. non ice fish 122. ps no limit at the time.

1/19/19 @ 11:49 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I like the simplicity of a drop shot rig. A chain of split shot on the end and an octopus hook make for a baited hook that is easy for the perch to inhale.

9/8/18 @ 2:42 PM
one1shot
User since 12/31/09

Minnows.

8/27/18 @ 6:48 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Buckshot rattle spoons. Slip bobber with minnows, drop shots work also.

8/27/18 @ 5:02 PM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

I've heard of guys drop shotting for perch.   Basicly a bell sinker with a hook around a foot or less above it fished like you would without slips.   But they have the sinker bounce bottom while anchored in the waves.   The sinker bouncing bottom sends up dust in the water and attracts perch that get curious looking for an easy meal.   

If tried let me know if it works.   I rigged a rod for it but haven't been out to try yet.

Big perch to me are over 11"   this summer in vilas county my biggest was 12"   my dad got one two years ago that was 15.25",   just a slob he had mounted.

8/27/18 @ 3:49 PM
OB.3
User since 1/6/13

Btw how nice of perch? Always like the pigs 13”+ pm if needed 

8/27/18 @ 3:47 PM
OB.3
User since 1/6/13

If deadsticking deep make sure you are using enough weight I use 1 oz egg sinker 10” above plain hook with redworm, if to light bait doesn’t stay down it will sweep as you do even if anchor both ends. Also use a ice spoon or rap to pound bottom in between dead sticks to attract them. Look for different bottom types and fish the transition 

8/27/18 @ 2:56 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

We have fished the river at times with a friend who is a guide and caught nice perch on crappie minnows , and crappies. Would hit weed patches and they would be there. Color graph works wonders finding them , which I do not have on my boat as of yet . 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE