3 walleye limit on Winnebago

2/28/18 @ 1:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tealioitis
Tealioitis
USER since 4/5/13

Up for debate at the spring hearing this year is a reduction to a three fish walleye limit on the system.

I like it as studies have shown there is a high catch rate of walleyes on the system, especially immature females.  Look at battle on Bago, how many fish were brought in over the slot, not that many. The only thing that protected those 16 to 20 inch fish out there till last summer was the huge Shad hatch in 2016.

Edited on 3/9/18 9:33 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 267 Posts
4/4/18 @ 12:36 PM
MT_Stringer
MT_Stringer
USER since 11/10/15

Long Barrels I hear you.  Its like this morning, I went out early, brushed my kids car off, started and warmed it up so the windows were clear, all while he slept.

He got up and left for school....not a text, not a phone call, nothing. I thought you little sheet, you can't even take the time to call and say thanks?  

Then I thought, did I do it to get a thanks from him OR did I do it because that is who I am and wanted to help him out.

Be proud you don't get your self worth from how many fish you catch. Its not that you couldn't do it yourself.

Post Your Comment
4/4/18 @ 9:43 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I know fellas out beating the snot out the fish,  limits everyday since Wednesday on the wolf.  Do you think a person that already has 25 walleye's alone in the last 6 days is going to stop fishing today because they have enough? That will not happen. The beatings continue and will till 2020.  A 3 fish limit will do nothing but make the people that over indulge more sneaky.  

Every day I read on this post and know what's happening on the river as we speak....makes me really want a 3 fish limit now or something that limits people's desire to take from the resources.  

I don't care about legal fishing,  but when i get pictures from the same people daily on a livewell of 15 to 20 walleye's,  you all can imagine what their totals will be by the end of July.  

Unfortunately folks that fish only 5 times a year will suffer as the others will just take as many as they can w o limits on themselves.  No one can change people's need to brag.  I always say,  if you had no one to tell and brag to,  would you fish to have fun and release because you don't need them?  Most wouldn't keep what they do if they didn't have Facebook to post on and show off.

Just my take on the fishing and hunting brag artists.

Edited on 4/4/18 9:44 AM
Post Your Comment
4/4/18 @ 8:56 AM
hotbait
hotbait
MEMBER since 5/16/16

Thanks for the comments. No sarcasm. Yes it is off subject. I was just trying to get comments on how to produce more revenue for the system. More revenue would mean more money for stocking and law enforcement.

With modern technology we don't need a drop box. I just think the winter fisherpeople should pay for the ramp use also. I understand that you can't charge property owners. What I'm trying to get accross is; charging 12 months a year, for the ramps, would help with producing more needed revenue. With more revenue, maybe there could be some stocking, which would help to keep it at 5 walleyes.

I don't want to see Winnebago turn into a Mille Lacs. I hope the spring meetings are possitive.

Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 8:43 PM
Brad
Brad
USER since 6/19/01

Hot bait -

Since this can't get any further off topic....

Why should I have to wait in line for people to launch their $500 boats AND come up with exact change for the coin operated launch gate?  Perhaps we should institute a progressive boat launch fee?  Maybe some sort of means testing to include a complex formula derived from the cost of my boat, the number of times I intend to fish, a ratio of the number of walleye I harvest to the number of walleye I catch, and a scaling factor derived from the average length of walleye I catch?  You know,... something fair.

I respect your right to have an opinion, but honestly, I think your missing the boat on this one (pun intended...).  A user fee isn't a social experiment designed to redistribute wealth from those of us who fish one body of water a lot - it is simply a reasonable fee meant to make sure the people using a resource help pay a portion of the costs needed to maintain it.  Eliminating season passes in favor of a pay-as-you-go system wouldn't have a significant impact on anything other than the length of the line at the launch on Saturday morning and, possibly, your feelings.. :)

To be clear, this was meant as joke.  Mostly.

Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 2:39 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Hotbait -you can't tell  my tone in the text, but this is not meant to attack you, but more so identify holes in the "pay per use fee for fishing" theory.

What do you do for those who live on the lake?  Winnebago for example is a huge lake with somewhere around 90 miles of lake frontage, with 1000's of fishermen/women who would not contribute to this fund.  Are you okay with that?

What about shore fishermen/women - how would they pay for their take-home of fish? 

And would you charge the same at the boat launch for those who launch a pleasure boat?  How would you target "just fisherment/women"?  What if it is a runabout that takes rods with?  Or the other way, a walleye boat going for a boat cruise?

I am not opposed to a user fee based system, but think it would be tough to enforce. 

Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 12:24 PM
SpikeRoberts
SpikeRoberts
USER since 1/22/18

We already pay 'user fees'. The more you fish, the more you pay.

A portion of gas tax is already set aside to support related recreation programs in the Department of Natural Resources. 

I know there are some 'free' ramps in other areas of the state, but on Bago. You put in, you pay. Boat ramp fees are used to maintain the ramps.

We also pay excise taxes through the purchase of equipment. 

Edited on 4/3/18 12:27 PM
Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 11:21 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Get me that person's name,  I have nice gold bridge.  cheap too.

Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 10:37 AM
MT_Stringer
MT_Stringer
USER since 11/10/15

On topic: Mother always said "be careful of what you wish for"  :)

Off topic: Wanna hear something even more crazy then paying more for a gallon of water than a gallon of gas?  

My son sold a computer "image" of a gun for $700.00  Yep, you read that right. Someone deposited 700 american dollars into his bank account for something that doesn't even exist outside of that game.

The kicker?  he looks at you like you're stupid for not understanding. 

Edited on 4/3/18 12:20 PM
Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 9:21 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Why do people brag about spending 50 to 60k on a boat, or truck, and complain about a launch fee? Just my 2 cents.

That's good stuff.  

Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 9:17 AM
hotbait
hotbait
MEMBER since 5/16/16

You are right, I don't have much unused time each day. I would just like the people that use the lakes on a daily basis, to pay each time they use it.

It would be like a gas tax, (you pay on every gallon you use). So, you would pay every time you use the ramp. There would be no discount for multiple uses. Very fair, and more profit. Wardens and boat ramps are not free. I never thought the day would come when you bought a bottle of water, but it did. I still have a thermos.

Can you tell, I'm old and cheap? I would sure like to see 5 every time I go out, which is 5-6 times a year. But, I understand if we need to drop to 3. Times change. Why do people brag about spending 50 to 60k on a boat, or truck, and complain about a launch fee? Just my 2 cents.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 267 Posts