3 walleye limit on Winnebago

2/28/18 @ 1:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tealioitis
Tealioitis
USER since 4/5/13

Up for debate at the spring hearing this year is a reduction to a three fish walleye limit on the system.

I like it as studies have shown there is a high catch rate of walleyes on the system, especially immature females.  Look at battle on Bago, how many fish were brought in over the slot, not that many. The only thing that protected those 16 to 20 inch fish out there till last summer was the huge Shad hatch in 2016.

Edited on 3/9/18 9:33 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 267 Posts
4/10/18 @ 7:23 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02

When the emphasis of a fishing trip is simply how many I can take home rather than the fishing experience itself that fisherman is the problem rather than the solution to a problem. To suggest bag limits, open or closed seasons and size limits based on their best interest rather than letting the fisheries managers/biologists determine them based on science is irresponsible at best. 

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 7:06 AM
Jav1
Jav1
USER since 1/28/03

I feel it is time to protect the spawning period and close the season March 1 to the season opener with a 15" minimum. Maybe a slot of some kind would help the adult population. This would definitely help take the slaughter fest out out the issue.

My concern is why would I travel 70 miles to and from for three walleyes? I can go to Festival and buy fish cheaper. Maybe for those who live on the lake, in which many are at fault for double dipping, or live reasonably close may be OK with a three fish. 

Bottom line the Winnebago system is a walleye factory that has finally met it's match with the educated fisherman, technology of fishing equipment and fishing pressure and yes something needs to be done to protect the walleye but all I ask is look at it in a large prospective to be fair to all fish and fisherman and women.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 6:58 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02

A rapid warm up and rain could help the low water levels, but as low as the river is it likely won’t be enough for a good spawn. The current catching frenzy is on par with what the hard water season provided and what we will see come open water on the lakes. 

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 6:51 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

I agree, 2020 will he to late!

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 6:43 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

wow

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 5:48 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

If anyone has been fishing the Wolf,  you all are aware of the slaughter fest.  Mark my word,  by 2020 most won't be able to catch 3 anyway.  

This year is almost guaranteed to be a bad spawn.  We need rain,  BAD.  lots of it.

This limit should go in effect immediately.

Edited on 4/10/18 5:51 AM
Post Your Comment
4/8/18 @ 5:33 AM
samfox
samfox
USER since 3/17/09

Well tomorrow we will get to vote on the question as written. Ten year average attendance is 5609 people across 72 counties. I trust we will make the right decision for everyone!! 

Post Your Comment
4/6/18 @ 11:18 PM
MT_Stringer
MT_Stringer
USER since 11/10/15

Wow, the 3 questions on guides was an eye opener for me. Never realized they were that far under the radar, being it a business and what they charge.

I guess I would side with skeeter, as a professional you are to be held at a higher standard than the public. Although not illegal, him giving his fish away day after day would seem unethical from a professionals standpoint. Its only 5 a day, but that does feel like exploitation.

In my profession, I can't knowingly sell something "as is", because I am expected to know better. So...

Edited on 4/6/18 11:46 PM
Post Your Comment
4/6/18 @ 8:12 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Still 5, you'r good to go

Post Your Comment
4/6/18 @ 6:40 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10

Haven’t followed this thread, and I’m not sure when there will be a vote or a determination by the DNR to go to a three fish limit, but would I be correct to assume it won’t happen in 2018 since the official printed 2018 regulations are already heavily distributed amongst the population? I just don’t want to come in off the lake with five fish and have a warden ask me if I knew the limit had been changed to three yesterday.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 267 Posts