3 walleye limit on Winnebago

2/28/18 @ 1:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tealioitis
Tealioitis
USER since 4/5/13

Up for debate at the spring hearing this year is a reduction to a three fish walleye limit on the system.

I like it as studies have shown there is a high catch rate of walleyes on the system, especially immature females.  Look at battle on Bago, how many fish were brought in over the slot, not that many. The only thing that protected those 16 to 20 inch fish out there till last summer was the huge Shad hatch in 2016.

Edited on 3/9/18 9:33 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 267 Posts
4/10/18 @ 3:48 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

in case you want to ask your question directly to the DNR... they are pretty good at responding in a timely manner

dnr.wi.gov/contact/

call, chat or email options ...

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 3:36 PM
Big Jig
Big Jig
MEMBER since 6/29/06

I apologize for asking but want to confirm the year that it starts,  is it 2020 or this year?  I seen so many references to 2020 as I was following this discussion but almost looks like it starts this year.  

I’m glad it passed it’s just to bad it had to come to this,  I see more pictures now than ever before of people raping the lake or the river now.  

Edited on 4/10/18 3:43 PM
Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 3:06 PM
OO Buckshot
OO Buckshot
USER since 10/4/05

Reduce Limits on Bago

Yes - 3366          No - 1816

Counties approved - 63
Counties rejecting -  9

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 2:59 PM
Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 12:45 PM
Big Jig
Big Jig
MEMBER since 6/29/06

Big Jim 

I didn’t go to the meeting last night, so if you could share a little insight it would be greatly appreciated !!

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 10:27 AM
Bigjim4cats
Bigjim4cats
USER since 12/28/17
if any of you making your posts live in FDL county, apparently you didn’t go to the meeting last night.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 9:45 AM
rubline
rubline
USER since 10/17/04

I agree with long barrels 2020 will be to late.With these low water levels and lack of forage they are taking a pounding and there will be a price to pay soon.Look at posts on facebook,lake link all  you see are coolers full of fish,posts like  {   just hammering the walleye! Limits every day out this week!  fishing this easy there wont be any walleyes to  debate future management! }I ask my self if you feel that way stop taking limits....I guess its up to us as fisherman I have reduced my limit to 3 or less if any make it back to the lake..

Edited on 4/10/18 2:46 PM
Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 8:55 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

Buckshot I agree, I do not fish bago mutch any more, but it makes no differance to me if the limit was 3 or 2 for that matter.I do not fish for food, ya I like a meal here and there I did not spend all of this cash on a boat with the thinking I would make out money wise.I did it because I love to fish.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 7:44 AM
OO Buckshot
OO Buckshot
USER since 10/4/05

I regularly take 100 mile trips just to fish a certain body of water and a 3 fish bag limit is not going to stop me from fishing a good body of water.  People are getting hung up on the fish being taken during the spawn.  I do agree I wish there was a reduced bag limit and slot limit for the spring.  The walleye run is short compared to the rest of the season though and the numbers taken in the rivers are a drop in the bucket compared to the harvest in the summer and during ice season.  While the walleye fishing can be great during the run its not as good as when the fish pile out of the river in june/july and are stacked up on a feeding frenzy.  You have a lot more people targeting fish this time of year than during the run.  Then lets take ice fishing.  How often do you see groups 1000+ pounding a group of fish off merritt during ice season every weekend thousands of fisherman who are taking a lot of walleye out of the system.  I think its a good thing and can only make the fishing better.

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 7:41 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I support the DNR's assessment, period ...trained professionals who do this for a living and passion... not just someone posting feelings

Edited on 4/10/18 7:41 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 267 Posts