2014 Battle on Bago

2/22/14 @ 8:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fresh Air
Fresh Air
USER since 1/21/12
Hey everyone, Just thought I'd start this thread for what I believe will be continued questions and communication in regards to the tourney this year. As most of you know the burbot stole the show. I fished the tourney, registered a nice whitebass, and later saw not one bass placed. I don't blame the fishermen who won, but I do believe that any fish that has a potential to be spawning during this time of winter should not be a target in a fishing tournament, especially one this large. I do believe there may be some changes coming. Good Fishing All and look forward to reading some thoughts and opinions. Communication is a good thing even if there may be a bit of whining. Personal attacks cross the line between good and bad communication. Wondering
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
12/28/14 @ 2:17 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Thank you FG - appreciate the reply.

Post Your Comment
12/28/14 @ 11:02 AM
fishgodwi
fishgodwi
USER since 7/28/10
Because walleye r only the predator fish u can register and r extremely hard to come by! Best chance is to go after white bass and maybe by chance catch a walleye

Post Your Comment
12/28/14 @ 6:39 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I live in the SE part of the state and was thinking about coming up this year.

I visited the 2015 website and couldn't find the answer I was looking for: http://www.battleonbago.org/tournament

Most ice fishing tourneys I've been in offer prizes for the biggest species of each fish. Reading the comments below about the "giant gills" I'm guessing the Battle on Bago doesn't work that way. It appears it goes strictly by weight. If that is the case, why would anyone fish for anything other than large predator fish?

Post Your Comment
12/28/14 @ 12:30 AM
USER since 10/5/05
I'd agree the tournament probably helped itself by disallowing burbot (even though I disagree with doing so). I liked the wildcard aspect that they brought to the tournament as well as a possible night fishing opportunity. We all know the burbot thing was an anomaly and probably wouldn't happen again for years. I did hear from a lot of people who didn't know about burbot that they were going to quit out spite after getting outsmarted... so taking burbot out was probably a good idea just to keep those people coming back.

Even so, I don't think giant gills will make it this year either.

Post Your Comment
12/27/14 @ 6:01 AM
Silverfish1
Silverfish1
USER since 3/11/07
Very excited to see bubot off the list for Battle. Its disturbing to see that people argued that it sould not change after seeing the numbers come in. I registered a burbot and felt terrible standing next to a proud older gal who had some giant gills...I knew she dint stand a chance but she didn't know that. the battle saved itself in my eyes by disallowing burbot.

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 4:38 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Boy he sounds like a real stand up guy!

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 4:13 PM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
Well, the "winner's" name is Sam Lehman. I was told to look him up on CCAP and draw my own conclusion. I sensed a Wink Wink, if you know what I mean.

I was also reminded that polygraphs are inadmissible in court if the validity of the winning fish would have been disputed.

Anyone know any more?

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 12:28 PM
walleyejt1
walleyejt1
USER since 4/3/03
LUVH20, if you find out any of the info on the lie detector results...please share.

as for what happens with the prizes.....i suppose the liars return theres....and everyone else stays put....

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 8:41 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
Is that true?

The winning fish was disqualified?

I think it was a 9# walleye if I'm not mistaken. Not impossible to come from this system, but highly unlikely. Especially, coincidentally through the ice, during the tournament.

Time to start Googling...

Post Your Comment
3/8/14 @ 2:45 PM
Thefishburglar
Thefishburglar
USER since 12/16/09
so now that the "winning fish" has been disqualified for being illegal, whats happening with the prizes?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts