SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

vacuum seal machine for fish and game

7/18/17 @ 6:20 PM
INITIAL POST
curt-t-o
User since 10/6/02

Looking for new sealer for fish and game that wont brake the bank. Got one from the big store lasted about 8 mo. Z.L. What do you guys have good luck with. thanks for any IDEAS.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
7/25/17 @ 7:02 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

bought some Cling Wrap and going to try madforlabs tip on fish the next time I have fish or bulk chicken breasts or steak, etc..

7/24/17 @ 9:43 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Menards sells vacuum pack bags. I do not believe they are Food Saver brand, but they work great in my Food Saver

7/23/17 @ 10:35 PM
mooselegs
User since 5/27/03

I purchased a Food Saver 2 years ago and really like it. To prevent moisture from interfering with the seal, I take a half sheet of paper toweling (folded) and place it inside the bag, just below the area that is to be sealed. As the vacuum begins drawing air out of the bag, the moisture is trapped by the paper towel......sorta acts like a dam.......and it does not interfere with the taste of the food.  Works great!!!!

7/22/17 @ 6:58 AM
nihsif
nihsif

Bought my 2nd Foodsaver vacuum sealer at Amazon, best price

Still buy the rolls at Foodsaver

they have frequent sales, and they discount bags when you buy more than 1

if you register your  machine, you can sign up for email alerts to sales... they do send them out quite frequently, but when they have a sale, it's nice to know... depends on your tolerance to getting email

I've also bought generic roll at Amazon that work good too

Amazon rolls

www.foodsaver.com/food-storage-bags-and-containers/

edit: the Amazon bags are bigger rolls and don't fit into my machine until I make up rolls that will... small inconvenience

7/22/17 @ 5:40 AM
curt-t-o
User since 10/6/02
Thanks for all the ideas and tips.Went  with the foodsaver. Were  is the best place to get there rolls of bags .For the price. Thanks for all the help.
7/21/17 @ 8:47 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Some good ideas posted here. What we feel is optimal is to wrap meat or fish in Cling Wrap (not saran wrap as previously noted). Then , vacuum seal in the device of your choice. The wrap provides a moisture barrier so it doesn't interfere with a good seal as well as additional protection from freezer burn should the vacuum bag fail.

When we travel to Alaska, we PLAN on bringing back fish to last 2 years in the freezer. The last package is every bit as good as the first using this procedure. 

Try it!

7/21/17 @ 7:56 AM
nihsif
nihsif

wood-n-water is correct on making the bag longer so you can reseal ...

been doing that for over a decade with no issues for things like cheese, lunch meat, dry items , etc... although I now use some hard containers for things like lunch meat, produce, etc... can access and reseal and not smoosh! haha

things like fish, meat, etc. I pack into meal size portions, for example, I will buy 10# of ground chuck on sale, then put into 1# bags so I can take out what I will use for that day

long term freezing is best accomplished in a freezer without a frost free function, so I have a small chest freezer for long term storage...

frost free freezers will eventually cause you items to lose moisture because frost free essentially heats the freezer compartment to remove the frost, then cools again

7/20/17 @ 2:40 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Migr8,  i actually agree with what you said.  last year I froze some venison in a ziplock and it looks perfect.  I was leary....but it's all I had at that point.  

A vacuum bag is screwed if i gets nicked.  Happens often...

7/20/17 @ 1:42 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

First I have to admit that I am an admitted food snob. I eat nearly zero purchased meat. I had a Food Saver vacuum awhile ago and thought it'd be great. They suck. Unless you get a commercial sealer, there is no way to get a good seal. The number one problem with freezing anything is air exposure resulting in moisture loss. 

The absolute best way to freeze meat to guarantee no air exposure is plain old Cling Wrap. Wrap it up tight with several layers and put in a ziplock. There is zero chance air will ever get to it. Vacuum sealers rely on the vacuum. The seal must seal, bones or external contact can cause loss of vacuum and the bag themselves allow air to pass thru. 

I eat meat that I freeze within a year and fish within around 6 months. I'm sure it can last longer, I just don't let it go that long. 

I freeze all types of game birds, venison and salmon in Cling Wrap. Walleyes, craps and gills go in a ziplock with water, but rarely do I freeze those anyway. 

If you do use a vacuum sealer, puncture the bag you intend to thaw, before it does. If there is still a vacuum, it'll suck moisture out as it thaws. 

Edit: Saran Wrap sucks for freezing. Cling Wrap "clings" to itself much better. 

7/20/17 @ 10:02 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I don't know if I like that,  especially for fish.  Ecoli petri dish....

7/20/17 @ 9:11 AM
Woods-N-Water
User since 9/17/16

Here's a trick for saving on bags.  Cut them longer than you need for the item.  That way when you cut the seal off to use after thawing you have enough bag to reuse and reseal.  I cut mine long enough to use 3 or 4 times.  It takes about 50% more length per bag but you get 3-4 uses.  

7/20/17 @ 6:59 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Bugle,  great idea on the freezer.  Just hope I don't forget :)

7/20/17 @ 6:19 AM
fuzzyfishin
User since 3/26/07

I've used my ziplock for about 4yrs. Had about 4 food savers go bad. The cheap is to the double pampers by food saver and tilia.

i like ziplock bags. Cheaper than food saver. I feel there better.

7/19/17 @ 6:42 PM
nihsif
nihsif

Foodsaver, I have 2, the original I bought maybe 10 years or so ago, and a newer model that's maybe 2-3 years old... original serves as a backup or for when I want to put a double seal on a bag ( buy the rolls and make your own )

I have also given a couple away as gifts...

Agree on using the Foodsaver bags, they seem to seal better and suck the air out better due to the design.

and for wet items like fish, do what BT said, and bag and put in the freezer for 15 min or so... then vacuum pack

...or, I buy bulk chicken breasts... I wash them and pat them dry before vacuum packing

I've had steaks and chicken that's were in the freezer for over 2 years, and grilled or prepared and no issues at all

7/19/17 @ 3:54 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I'm on my second Food Saver unit.  The first lasted at least a decade and that's when I was really into salmon fishing on Michigan.  That thing sealed a dozen or so fillets just about every weekend along with fish that I caught up north and a lot of game that I harvested.  My newer one doesn't get as much use these days as I only get out on Michigan once or twice a season but I still use it a lot for crappies, gills and walleye.  Just load the bags and pop them in the freezer for an hour.  They'll firm up enough where you don't have to worry about sucking liquid into the pump.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE